View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Abbott & Costello:The Complete Universal Pictures Collection 

Abbott & Costello:The Complete Universal Pictures Collection
This was just released. I know it's not CDF-related (hence the "Miscellaneous" designation), but it still seemed worth mentioning. The Three Stooges were probably the kings of B&W comedy as far as CDF-aged kids growing up in the 70s and 80s were concerned--thanks to WSBK 38's dedication to showing their shorts seemingly since the beginning of time (and STILL doing it today!). But I fondly remember watching Abbott & Costello on channel 27 at 6:00 on Saturdays. After an afternoon of watching Creature Double Feature (and a little break from 4:00 to 6:00PM) it was always great to see an A&C movie. And if that movie just happened to be one of their sci-fi or horror-based titles, so much the better! There were a few threads on the old board that discussed A&C in general, and "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" in particular, pretty extensively, so there must be others here who appreciate them too. The four-movie DVD sets that were released a few years ago were pretty cool, but I never got around to buying any of them. Maybe now's the time to finally get some A&C stuff. The "Abbott & Costello: The Complete Universal Pictures Collection" set includes 28(!) movies, and some extras too of course. I don't know if the guys did movies for any other studios, but it seems like all the best of their stuff is represented in this collection.

Along with many general classics, their "sci-fi" and "horror" movies are very well represented. Not to mention the WWII military comedies! Here are the titles included in the set:

One Night in the Tropics (1940)
Buck Privates (1941)
In the Navy (1941)
Hold That Ghost (1941)
Keep 'Em Flying (1941)
Ride 'Em Cowboy (1942)
Pardon My Sarong (1942)
Who Done It? (1942)
It Ain't Hay (1943)
Hit the Ice (1943)
In Society (1944)
Here Come the Co-Eds (1945)
The Naughty Nineties (1945)
Little Giant (1946)
The Time of Their Lives (1946)
Buck Privates Come Home (1947)
The Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap (1947)
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Mexican Hayride (1948)
Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff (1949)
Abbott and Costello in the Foreign Legion (1950)
Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951)
Comin' Round the Mountain (1951)
Lost in Alaska (1952)
Abbott and Costello Go to Mars (1953)
Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1953)
Abbott and Costello Meet the Keystone Kops (1955)
Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955)

I suppose that "...Go to Mars" is the only one that would really be considered "sci-fi", but the Frankenstein, Mummy, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Invisible Man and "The Killer, Boris Karloff" titles are all there as well.

The suggested retail price is $119.98, but Amazon has it right now for only $83.99 and DeepDiscount.com has it for $88.56 (and remember, they offer free shipping too). While that's still a good chunk of change I may just have to add this set to my Christmas wishlist! You listening Santa?

At Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Abbott-Costello-Complete-Universal-Collection/dp/B001EXE2Y2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1225395101&sr=1-2

At DeepDiscount.com:
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=50722808

"Heeeeeeeyyyy Abbott!!!"

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:53 pm

Re: Abbott & Costello:The Complete Universal Pictures Collection
I am a HUGE A&C fan! As a matter of fact, I was a fan of theirs before I ever heard of the Three Stooges. My mother was a fan of A&C from childhood and got me into them at a very young age (like 5!)

I'd record their movies on cassette tapes in the 70's, much like I did with the Stooges, then later of course, on VHS. I bought the Universal DVD collection a few years ago when it was out on 4 volumes. I have also managed to get copies of their non-Universal movies including their last one Dance With Me Henry. The one movie I don't have and have yet to see is MGM's Rio Rita.

...funny, but I never embraced their TV show like I did the movies, much like I never embraced the Stooges' movies like their shorts. Perhaps I felt they were "past their prime" or something.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:55 pm

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein is pure gold :lol:

haven't seen it in awhile but it really is fun

Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 am

I'd like to pick up that collection as well.

I fondly remember A&C Theatre on Ch 27 every Saturday at 6pm. I watched most of their movies here as a kid.

Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:21 pm

Heeeeeeey Abbott!!!

I still havn't bought the set, but wanted to let anyone else interested in it that deepdiscount.com currently has it for the very reasonable price of $62.39! And don't forget the FREE shipping too! They have a good sale on box sets going on, and I don't know how long the prices will last.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Abbott---Costello-complete-Univers-Box-Sets_stcVVproductId50722808VVcatId541748VVviewprod.htm

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:02 pm

hope you enjoy it!

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:11 pm

Unfortunately, I'm still not in a postition to pick it up at the moment. Just wanted to get the word out.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:18 pm

One of the bonus features is Abbott & Costello Meet the Monsters which has behind the scene stuff AND MOVIE OUTTAKES! Watching Lou Costello crack up Glenn Strange in full Frankenstein monster make-up is a must-see :P

Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:58 pm

Well, it looks like I'll be able to start re-living some of those old Saturday evening Abbott & Costello memories from when channel 27 aired their movies at 6:00. While I still couldn't quite get myself to pay the great price of $62.39, wouldn't you know that DeepDiscount went ahead and sweetened the deal? This morning I saw an e-mail from them that mentioned one of their great sales going on--25% off and DVDs or BluRays. While not as great as the occassional 50% of sales (which are on ANY DVDs by the way, not only certain ones picked by them). It still proved to be too good to resist. With the discount added to the already low price for the Abbott & Costello set, I only ended up paying a grand total of...$46.79 for it! And free shipping too!

If anyone wants to cash in on the 25% off sale (and I'm not sure how long it's running--these kinds of sales usually don't last too long), simply enter SUPERSALE in the promotion box when checking out. Don't forget, this is good on ALL their DVDs, not just the Abbott & Costello set. My wife got me the Complete Definitive Twilight Zone set last year for Christmas using the 50% off sale that was going on then. It's a great way to make a high-priced set much more reasonable!

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:09 am

What a steal!

If you break it down to cost per movie, it comes to $1.67 each ($46.79 ÷ 28 movies). It's even LESS if you count the bonus material! WOW...

Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:07 pm

I know. All I can say is what a deal! I just couldn't resist any longer. I can't count the times I've bought something for what seemed like a rock-bottom price...only to see the price drop precipitously after my purchase. It's hard to imagine a set like this going much lower than $46.79. True, I probably won't be interested in ALL the movies, but it will be nice to have them anyway. After I see all the ones I'm most interested in, I'll still have hours and hours of A&C fun waiting to be watched. And I'm definitely looking forward to the extras too!

I introduced my daughter to The Stooges recently (in small doses as I do have to acknowledge that the violent brand of humor (loved by kids and reviled by some adults) The Stooges employ can be a bit influential on a three- or four-year-old. Anyway, we watched "The Three Stooges in Orbit" back around the Fourth of July and she enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm hoping that she's going to be interested in A&C's antics as well. We'll have plenty of them to view when the set comes in! And the wife can't really complain either, since A&C's humor tends to be more "family friendly" than The Stooges.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:04 pm

Col Manning you're going to greatly enjoy the Abbott and Costello collection. I got it last Christmas and the first movie I watched was The Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap as it was the first one I watched on Ch 27 as a kid.

I also just picked up a the combo DVD of Elvira, Mistress of the Dark and Transylvania 6-5000 from Deep Discount for $6.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:02 pm

I've had nothing but good experiences with Deep Discount (though I should cross my fingers, as I haven't reveived the A&C set yet). For the most part they have very good prices to start with, and then they have frequent sales that make the prices that much better. Not having to worry about figuring in a shipping cost is the final thing that makes it all worthwhile. While oldies.com's flat $3.95 shipping rate is not bad (and it's free on orders over $75.00), I still have to consider that cost when ordering stuff from them. I'll generally wait until I want a few things to get at once to make the shipping cost seem minimal.

I'm eagerly waitng for my A&C set and feel that I finally have dodged a bullet with buying a pricey set/DVD. I always fear buying something--not only because I'm afraid the price will go down as soon as I buy it, but also because I'm afraid a better version will be released that I will wish I had waited for. Heck, I've been waiting for years to buy "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" because I figure that a special edition or something like that HAS to come out eventually. In the meantime I just pull out my old VHS copy whenever I feel like watching it.

In the case of A&C, I remember when those four volumes of "The Best of Abbott & Costello" came out a few years back. I always figured I'd piick up at least a couple of those versions, but never did. After reading some of the reviews of this set, I can't help but feel sorry for all the people who bought those "The Best of Abbott & Costello" sets, only to have to consider buying this one as well. There's only one "new" movie in this new set that wasn't in the old one--"It Ain't Hay", and it's not available as a stand alone movie (at least not at the moment). Apparently it has a few new additional bonus features too. This new set's packaging is pretty cool looking too, with the whole steamer trunk look to it. And, apparently the old "Best of" set was done on two-sided DVDs that were reported to have a lot of problems and complaints. Sometimes it pays to wait, but how are we supposed to know that something better will necessarily be coming out in the near future? And what true fan is going to wait when an "ultimate" collection of his/her favorite performers is released on the off-chance that something better might be released in five or six years?

Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:09 pm

I bought the 4 volume Best of Abbott & Costello when they came out, but I don't think they were that expensive...somewhere around the $17.00 range apiece. Not bad when you consider each one has 8 movies.
I must have lucked out with mine because I have had no problems with the two-sided discs.

What I wished I had waited for was the Space: 1999 mega set. I bought the 8 volume individual set over a period of several months back in 2003 (I think) and it seemed like as soon as I completed the set, the mega all-in-one set came out for like almost half the price ARG!! :evil:

I think the same thing happened to me with the Benny Hill sets, except I was in the middle of collecting the separate sets when they released the mega set :evil: :evil:

Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:49 pm

Yeah, that Space 1999 Megaset is pretty cool. I still haven't gotten it, but it's on my list. A friend of mine who usually doesn't buy many DVDs went ahead and bought that set for a pretty good price because it's one of his all-time favorite shows. Needless to say, he was glad he hadn't bought any of the earlier released seasons.

Glad the A&C double-sided discs work well for you Beastball. I figured I'd buy at least a couple of them, but just never got around to it. I had never heard of problems with double-sided discs (as opposed to single-sided ones) until I started reading the reviews of the Abbott & Costello set. I have quite a few double-sided discs in my collection (a bunch of MGM's Midnite Movies titles for example) and I'm hoping I won't have trouble with them in the future.

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next