View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Attention! Blue-Light Special in Aisle 13! 

Attention! Blue-Light Special in Aisle 13!
Attachment:
bluelight130x130.gif
bluelight130x130.gif [ 6.22 KiB | Viewed 3595 times ]

The economy's not doing so well. Things are tough all over. Who couldn't use a bargain right about now?

I don't have anything specific to report about current sales, but thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where people could post information about sales and discounts that they think fellow CDFers might be interested in. It seems that information like this gets reported with some regularity, but with no specific location. Last week I mentioned that deepdiscount.com had a big sale on the Universal Abbott & Costello box set--in the thread about that specific set.

Sale information generally is only good for so long. As sales end, this thread will go down the list of recent posts. But whenever someone has something new to share, it will pop back up to the top. This way we all know where to check for the latest news on good deals worth checking out.

It's worth a try. And if it doesn't work out, it will simply drift down into message board obscurity.

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Attention! Blue-Light Special in Aisle 13!
Sounds like a good idea to me. Why not make it sticky so it'll always be at the top and easy to spot?

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:27 pm

Awesome idea Col Manning!
Speaking of bargains, you mentioned in another thread scoring the complete Twilight Zone collection on DVD for 50% off at Deepdiscount, if you or anyone else spots a deal on that set please post it?
Right now that is the set I want to own more than anything else.

Speaking of deals, I was tempted at Newbury Comics last week while checking out TV DVDs, I saw the Saturday morning live action shows ArkII, Space Academy, Jason of Star Command and The Ghost Busters sets all for 9.99 or less. I haven't seen any of these shows since they were originally on but instead of pulling the trigger I decided to add them to my Netflix queue first.
I did end up purchasing The Monster Squad for 13.88 and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly special edition for 9.99 there.
I'm not usually crazy about their prices but sometimes they have good sales and you can score deals on used copies of stuff as well.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:29 pm

This is a great idea! I will keep an eye out for any bargains of interest...

Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:12 pm

I should have mentioned that I bought the Abbott & Costello set when Deep Discount offered an additional 25% off coupon. WHen added to the already low price (and the free shipping) I just couldn't refuse. Apparently (and unfortunately) the 25% off coupon sale ended yesterday. It wouldn't hurt to try to put it in on an ordr now to see if it goes through though. Just put in "SUPERSALE" in the coupon box on the check-out page. See if it recalculates the price to reflect the discount. Sorry I didn't mention the sale in this thread before it ended. I'll make sure to post any new sales I see from them.

Actually, Deep Discount pretty much always has a number of sales going on at any given time. It's a good idea to check their home page frequently to see what kind of deals they have at the moment. I believe you can also sign up for an e-mail from them. I don't recall doing this myself, but probably got added to the list when I put in my first order. This is a good way to hear about stuff like the 50% off sale early to take advantage of it. And, no, I'm not on Deep Discount's payroll or anything...but I'm willing to be if they want to pay me!

While the 25% coupon isn't as good as the 50% off one (obviosly) it still made a great deal even sweeter. I like to get big (read heavy) sets from Deep Discount to really take advantage of the free shipping. The Abbott & Costello set is relatively big (and with 15 DVDs it's also quite heavy). So is the Twilight Zone Definitive Collection. My all-time favorite Deep Discount purchase (as far as the shipping advantage is concerned at least) was the Universal Monsters Legacy Gift Pack Collection, which included not only the Legacy collections of the Frankenstein, Dracula and Wolfman movies, but also those rather heavy busts of the three monsters!

Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:54 am

Great topic. Check out this website for coupons. http://www.retailmenot.com/

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:42 am

Thanks for that CDF Fan!

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:00 am

Skorch, I wish I could get to Newbury Comics more often. It's amazing how much the price of some TV show DVD sets come down after they've been out for a while. I have been buying all of "The Simpsons" seasons as they have been releasing them. Even the sale prices I try to get them for pale compared to the regular prices many chains sell most of the seasons for now. Generally they're pretty easy to get for about twenty bucks each now!

I remember "Ark II"'s release on DVD mentioned on the old message board. I was interested in seeing all those old live action Saturday morning shows, but to be honest I don't really have many memories of them. I vaguely remember watching what I believe was "Jason of Star Command", though it may very well have been one of the others. Anyway, the point is that there's a box set out there (apparently already out of print) of all three Filmation sci-fi shows from the 70s ("Jason of Star Command", "Space Academy" and "Ark II"). Deep Discount doesn't offer it any more, but it can be found at Ebay (which is always a good place to check for hard-to-find items). I was watching a couple Buy-It-Now auctions for this set. One had it for $20.00 (free shipping) and someone bought it last week. Another one is offering it for $21.79 and, at the moment, they have two available. This one also offers free shipping. A couple other sellers have this set, but they're selling it for a significantly higher price. Obviously, as always, caution should be used when buying from Ebay, but this does seem like a good deal--and good way to have all three of these shows all together in a handy little package. To be honest, I wasn't going to mention this auction because I was hoping to buy one myself. But because of some other recent pruchases I think I'll have to wait for this one (even at that low price). Better that someone from the board get them if I can't, right?

Attachment:
Fs-f.jpg
Fs-f.jpg [ 23.86 KiB | Viewed 3534 times ]

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Filmation-Sci-Fi-Box-Set-2008-7-DVD-Set-NEW_W0QQitemZ400064887843QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item5d25b9bc23&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:15 am

OY! Yet another mega set I should have waited for! I have the individual sets for Ark II and Space Academy.

...as a kid I never understood why the kids of the Academy never interacted with the people of Star Command--even though it was the same facility :? It wasn't until the realization of budgets and money did I figure out why...they saved a ton of money using the same sets and miniatures for an entirely separate show.

Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks Col Manning, that is a good deal there but I'm going to hold off until I see these shows again.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:42 pm

I picked up several of the BCI releases of the Filmation shows when they first came out, for a price that I thought was pretty great...but nowhere near as great as that bundled set! I'm still working my way through them -- they're fun, but I think how much nostalgia you have for that era will influence how much you enjoy them now. I loved JASON OF STAR COMMAND as a kid, and find it kind of a chore to sit though now. ARK II was one I never watched as a kind, but am enjoying for what it is. Haven't cracked into SPACE ACADEMY yet.

Another good site to check when DVD shopping is www.dvdpricesearch.com . There you can enter in the title you're looking for, and see a list of prices (including shipping) from various sites.

Also, for the month of August VIDEO WATCHDOG magazine is running a different special each day on their website. Yesterday I was able to renew my subscription for 50% off. Not sure what they'll be offering, but you can probably expect some good genre books and CDs in addition to deals on the magazine. I know I'll be checking in every day.

http://www.videowatchdog.com/home/home.html

Mark

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:02 am

OK CDFers ... got an email from OLDIES.COM ...

Many MIDNITE MOVIE DVDs are going for $2.98 this week. May be worth checking it out.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:49 pm

I just saw that e-mail as well Uncle POE. Thanks for posting! I've already bought many of the Midnite Movies titles (especially the double features), and they just keep lowering the prices! I may have to finally get "The Pit and the Pendulum" now that it's only $2.98!

Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:42 am
Site Admin

Beastball wrote:
OY! Yet another mega set I should have waited for! I have the individual sets for Ark II and Space Academy.

...as a kid I never understood why the kids of the Academy never interacted with the people of Star Command--even though it was the same facility :? It wasn't until the realization of budgets and money did I figure out why...they saved a ton of money using the same sets and miniatures for an entirely separate show.

I remember Ark II, I really had the hots for Jean Marie Hon

Here's what she looks like now,

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:39 pm

She still looks great!

Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next