View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 BIG FOOT 

BIG FOOT
Or what ever you want to call this great mystery.I just had to start this thread, because there seems to be so many stories that go along with this subject. Like no matter how corny they were, I just loved those episodes of sid and marty kroff's big foot and wild boy. When ever I could catch It on the tube, you had to be at the right place at the right time. Now that I have seen a few episodes recently, they were kind of silly.But when your 5 years old, that kind of programing is the greatest. Even now when I throw on a classic episode of the 70's "Land Of The Lost" my 6 year old daugter is in complete hypnosis. :lol:

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:52 am

I was into monsters and dinosaurs as a kid and when the Bigfoot phenomenon
started of course I went bananas for that as well.
The two TV events that really got me into Bigfoot were In Search Of... and The Six Million Dollar Man with Andre the Giant as Bigfoot, that was awesome!
I downloaded the episodes of both of those shows and they still hold up well.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:48 am

In search of was such a treat back then. I mean now there are so many doc's out there. You have 15 different channels that spew out all kinds of info on all different kinds of subjects these days.We had to wait a whole week to get a dose of in search of back in the 70s. I'm not complaining, there are a lot of interesting programs these days,but I would trade them in now for a creepy episode of in search of, witch I haven't seen in a while. (the old shows I mean) !! :)

Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:02 am

Aah Bigfoot (and Sasquatch, Yeti, The Abominable Snowman, Skunk Ape, or whatever you want to call the big guy). Such an important part of my youth! I've been meaning to start a Bigfoot thread on the board forever, but just have too much to say on the subject and don't know where to begin. I wanted to make a list of all the Bigfoot movies/TV shows/documentaries that I couls think of, but never got around to trying to compile one. Oh well, maybe eventually...

I think the thing that made Bigfoot such a big (no pun intended) thing for me was the fact that it was possibly REAL. I loved pretty much all the monster movies I'd see on CDF and other places, but the thought that I could actually run into a Bigfoot creature in real life made Bigfoot movies all the more scary for me personally. Even the scale was scary. I mean, a monster like Godzilla was kind of hard to relate to because of its immense size. But Bigfoot was just big enough to be monster-like, and you could imagine it popping up any time you were out in the woods--there wouldn't be any boom-boom-boom of distant footsteps and toppling trees and buildings to warn you. Mind you, I'm NOT saying that Godzilla and other giant monsters didn't scare me. One of my most frequent recurrent nightmares was about Godzilla slowly approaching my house from the downtown area while I tried (unsuccessfully of course) to hide on the second floor. The dream would end with Godzilla striding up to the house and looking in at me--his huge eye staring right into the room (not unlike the T-Rex looking into the window of the truck in "Jurassic Park" many years later). Speaking of T-Rex, another recurrent dream had a T-rex-like dinosaur coming out of the woods behind my house while I attempted to run away--only to have that dream-induced inability to get anywhere while my legs were pumping as hard as I could make them go, as the dinosaur reached down to pick me up.

Back to Bigfoot though. The seventies must have been the height of popularity for Bigfoot (which was timed perfectly for me to get into it). The legends and stories had been around for centuries--and you still occassionaly hear reports and see documentaries today--but it just seems like the seventies produced the most movies, documentaries, TV shows, books, magazine articles and anything else featuring Bigfoot (and other Big Hairy Monsters, or BHMs) than any other time that I'm aware of.

I was into most anything "mysterious": The Loch Ness Monster, UFOs, ghosts, The Bermuda Triangle, ancient astronauts ("Chariots of the Gods"-type stuff), and pretty much anything else that a show like In Search Of... would cover. But Bigfoot was the mystery that I was most interested in. And it was kind of hard to avoid at that time. I mean, appearances in the Six Million Dollar Man, books on Bigfoot that I'd buy from RIF (Reading is Fundamental) when they would visit our school, movies about Bigfoot on CDF... Bigfoot was everywhere.

Alright, before I bore everyone TOO much, let me just say that the In Search Of... episodes on Bigfoot mentioned above were terrifying for me too. I remember a scene where a couple of people were at a campsite while a Bigfoot, or a group of Bigfeet (Bigfoots?) circled the camp. They lit fires to keep the beasts away and stayed up all night. Another scene had a guy trying to find bigfoot, and the re-enactment had the camera in the woods doing the monster-eye-view thing while it approached the guy. The suspense of these scenes would just kill me. I always expected Bigfoot to come charging out of the woods to attack the people. Even though it never did, that didn't make it any easier for me. The fact that I should have known that it was a re-enactment should also have made it less scary--but didn't. I guess I was using the fact that Bigfoot COULD be real to make myself think that I was actually watching something real. Yet another case where the childlike ability to suspend disbelief and really get lost in what you were watching really paid off in the way of horror. It's this same ability that made even the most cheesy, low-budget movies on CDF scary for kids growing up in the seventies and eighties (as well as the kids who originally saw those same movies on the big screen in the fifties and sixties).

As you can see, I have a lot to say on this subject. Even changed my avatar for the first time in honor of the topic. I'll give it a rest for now...

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Last edited by Col. Manning on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:11 pm

You know what I forgot to mention? With all of Bigfoot's appearances during the seventies I somehow never saw Bigfoot and Wild Boy. Don't know how I managed to miss that perfect slice of seventies Krofft-iness.

Some of the things I DO remember were "Creature From Black Lake" (1976) and "The Legend of Boggy Creek" (1972), which were both shown on CDF. I also remember actually going to a cinema in Milford, MA to see the pseudo-documentary "Sasquatch" (1977), also known as "Sasquatch, The Legend of Bgfoot", when it first came out. My sister brought me and my nephew to that one and it scared the beejezus out of me. I believe I also saw that one on the Preview Channel (channel 27) a couple of years later. After that I never saw it again until a couple of years ago when I finally managed to find it on DVD as part of the "Sasquatch Horror Collection: Triple Feature" that I rented from Netflix. This DVD also included "The Snow Creature" (1954) and "Snowbeast" (1977).

Here it is at Netflix if anyone wants to check it out:
Sasquatch Horror Collection: Triple Feature:
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Sasquatch_ ... 767727_0_0

I have loved the movie "The Snow Creature" ever since the mid-80s or so when I bought a VHS tape at K-Mart that included "Godzilla vs. Megalon" and "The Snow Creature". It always seemed like a bizarre choice of movies to put together as a double feature, but I loved them both in their own ways.

Speaking of early Bigfoot movies, the fifties were a pretty good time for Abominable Snowman movies. In addition to "The Snow Creature", there was also Ishiro Honda's "Half Human", a Japanese BHM movie re-edited with John Carradine and released in the states in 1958. This one had been a tough one to find, but I managed to get a copy from kimsdvdclassics.com last year. Of a similar name is "Man Beast" (1956). And, of course there's also Hammer's "The Abominable Snowman" (1957), or "the Abominable Snowman of the Himilayas", starring Peter Cushing and Forrest Tucker.

The seventies were a big time for all kinds of Bigfoot movies and other media appearances. In addition to "Creature From Black Lake", "The Legend of Boggy Creek" and "Sasquatch" there was also "Bigfoot" (1970), which starred John Carridina, bikers and chicks and has the tagline "Breeds with anything" (eeew!). And "Curse of Bigfoot" (1976), and "The Capture of Bigfoot" (1979), a dreadful Bill Rebane movie. Speaking of dreadful movies, how about "Shreik of the Mutilated" (1974), which our very own Mark had as the feature on an episode on his great show Saturday Fright Special.

Another documentary that might be confused with "Sasquatch, The Legend of Bigfoot" is one called "The Legend of Bigfoot" (1976), which I have to admit I found a tad boring when I saw it a couple of years aog as part of another multi-feature on Netflix called Bigfoot Terror. This disc also included the above mentioned "Shreik of the Mutilated", "The Capture of Bigfoot" and a crappy newer flick called "Search for the Beast" (1997). I also just recently picked up "The Mysterious Monsters" (1976) from eBay (unofficial DVD). Haven't watched it yet, but I'm pretty sure I saw it on TV back in the late seventies/early eighties. It is hosted by Peter Graves and covers other monsters in addition to Bigfoot.

Bigfoot Terror at Netflix:
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Bigfoot_Te ... 829663_1_0

Well, that's the tip of the iceberg. Sorry to go on and on like this, but like I said, I've been thinking about this for a while. Hopefully someone here will find all this information intereting in some way. Be warned, I'll probably be adding a few more titles soon. I haven't even gotten to "Harry and the Hendersons" after all! But it's time to take a break.

Last edited by Col. Manning on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:23 pm

Well, Col. Manning, I certainly know who to turn to with all my Bigfoot-y questions :wink:

There really was a sort of a Bigfoot craze in the 70's, but I didn't get that caught up in it--at least not as much as some of you. I tended to watch the documentaries about Bigfoot and UFOs more so than movies. The only Bigfoot-related video I have is the 5 episodes on Six Million Dollar Man / Bionic Woman.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:46 pm

Yeah Beastball, I have to admit (and it's probably pretty obvious) I definitely got caught up in the Bigfoot craze. As you can see it was pretty extensive too. Not only is the list above incomplete, it doesn't even begin to cover all the TV show appearances Bigfoot-type creatures made, or the books and magazine articles written about it...

While I was into Bigfoot as a kid, many of the movies listed above I only saw more recently. In the days before cable, VCRs and DVDs I, like the rest of us, was at the mercy of what was on regular TV. If I saw that something about Bigfoot was going to be on I'd do my best to see it. After all, who knew when it would be on again. Nowadays, like collecting CDF movies, finding Bigfoot stuff (both old and new) has become a lot easier thanks to the internet, eBay, Netflix, and other resources that simply didn't exist back in the day.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Love the new avitar Col. Manning. What a piece of film that is. Probably the only real proof we have witch nobody can dissmiss as haox. Even thow I think I read someware that the guy who caught this on film atmitted on his death bed that it was a fake. But I don't beleive it, because even most film experts cant dissprove it to this day :twisted: .

Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:39 pm

That's very true about the Patterson film Gojira junky. It really is the best piece of evidence out there. That simple fact could actually probably boost the arguments of people who want to disprove Bigfoot. After all, they might say, how can it be that a 40-year-old piece of film is the only real evidence to have turned up after all these years? But at the same time, like you said, no one has ever been able to prove that the film isn't real either. Many "experts" have discounted the film as being a hoax, but until that can be proven, it's still the best thing keeping the mystery of Bigfoot alive. I've seen some recent documentaries where they have Hollywood special effects guys try to recreate the "suit" that was used in the film, and they generally can't seem to do it. The whole thing would have been a monumental undertaking for it to be a hoax. Many other experts have pointed out that you can clearly see muscular movement under the fur and that a normal human being simply can't walk that way. I do remember the story of the guy who was with Patterson making his deathbed confession. That would seem to be something that would put a big dent in the theory that it's genuine, but the debate still goes on... I certainly don't know if it's real or not, but I'd rather believe that there's something out there until I learn conclusively that there isn't (same with UFOs, ghosts and all the other stuff I was into as a kid!).

Of course there's also the plaster casts of Bigfoot footprints out there too. Obviously there are many fake ones around, and it wouldn't be difficult to make a fake one. But I've also read about some of them that were examined by "experts" who noted that they are exactly the right size, shape, and depth for a creature that would have made them. There have even been some that had a deformity (I believe I remember one having a club foot) that were perfectly deformed as far as how the bones and everything would react under the extreme weight of the creature. I can't imagine putting that kind of research and work into making a hoax, but who knows?

Back to the Patterson film. I remember always being familiar with the iconic image of Bigfoot glancing over its shoulder as it strided away, but had only seen it in photos up until thre was a special on one of the networks in the mid-1980s. I'm pretty sure it was called "Monsters: Reel and Real" (or something to that effect). It was mostly about monsters and aliens in the movies, but also covered "real" monsters like Bigfoot and Nessie at the end. The thing that I remember most about this show was that they actually showed the Patterson film. While I was familiar with the still images from the film, I was amazed (and petrified) to actually see the film in action. Nowadays seeing the film is as easy as going to YouTube and typing in something like "Patterson film", which will generate tons of hits. But back then we were at the mercy of what the TV stations would put on--and when they'd put it on.

Here's a good example of it on YouTube (from The Discovery Channel):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=N96o-Qohnps

It really is amazing that after all this time the film has never been conclusively proven or disproven. That's what makes a great mystery I guess.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:44 am

Lately I've been going NUTS over Bigfoot flicks. It started with legend of boggy creek, then boggy creek 2,and to complete the series, return to boggy creek, witch I got from e-bay. Not a terrific film, but I did have allot of fun watching It with my kids, They really seemed to like It. It starred Dana Plato (such a sad story) and Dawn Wells from the Gilligan's Island fame, you know Mary Ann. And after that I finally got a chance to view "Creature from Black Lake" and loved It. I don't think I have seen this film since I was 6 years old. And not till after the 4th time watching It did I realize that the guy who played Pahoo is the one and only Dennis Fimple (a.k.a Grandpa Hugo Firefly from Rob Zombies " Night of a Thousand Corpses", (witch I don't even think he had a chance to view since he died the same year It was released). So to try to complete my sudden Bigfoot fetish, I thought that a viewing of the sasquatch triple disc would do me just fine! But when I got my disc threw netflix IT was broken! Isn't that just the way. Oh well,guess Ill have to wait a few more days! :(

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:41 am

****** BIGFOOT NEWS ALERT!!! ******

BBC News reports today that scientists are planning to test hair that is believed to be from a yeti-like creature from India. Apparently the region it comes from is a hot, jungle-type environment. To me I 'd say the creature is more bigfoot-like than yeti-like, but I suppose it's closer to areas where creatures are called "yeti" than those where they're called "bigfoot". Anyway, here's the story that a friend of mine (Krankenstein at the board) just made me aware of:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfo ... 522912.stm

Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:59 pm

I just hope they have the smoking gun this time and not another let down. I was watching a special on discovery a little while ago and they thought they had a certifide hair sample,and it turned out to be some sort of moss plant life. :( I mean if they can prove it is a real deal, I would hope that it wouldnt bring them any closer to catching one. I mean this creature has stayed stealth for so long, to capture one now would be kind of a bummer. Just the proof they exist is all i would need to put a smile on my face! :D

Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:50 pm

I've gotten to the point that I don't really expect there to ever be any real proof of bigfoot's existence. I'm not trying to sound like a downer, or say that I'm sure it DOESN'T exist (there's still a child-like part of me that believes in it), just that I've gotten used to the fact that over the past 30 years you never hear of anything turning out to be hard evidence. A story like this does get me excited about the possibility, but to be honest, if there ever IS a piece of evidence that is authenticated I'll be as surprised as all the skeptics :shock: .

Of course this isn't to say that none of the evidence found over the years (film, photos, footprints, hair and stool samples, audio recordings...) has been reliable. Many of them (at least according to what I've seen on the documentaries) hasn't been DIS-proven, it simply can't be proven 100%. The Patterson film is a perfect example. I'm sure the vast majority of scientists and other experts that have seen or examined it have no doubt in their mind that it's a fake. They just can't PROVE it because of certain things in it that can't be explained. Just as people who DO believe it is genuine will probably never be able to prove it is within a reasonable doubt. Like you said Gojira junky, if bigfoot ever is proven to be true, it would end the mystery (and the fun of that mystery), and could be almost as disappointing as the announcement that would be made if it could ever be proven false. Obviously I'd prefer to hear the news that a bigfoot has been captured (or a body of one had been found...), but still, isn't the mystery 99% of the fun?

Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:51 am

I couldn't agree with you more Col. Manning! :)

Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:28 pm

I should probably clarify something. I don't want to give the impression that I don't get excited by new bigfoot reports. It always seems like the 70s were the "golden age" of bigfoot (if there is such a thing). While it comes up from time to time even today, the mystery just doesn't seem to have the same power it seemed to have over people many years ago. This could possibly just be my perception of course. I mean, I was a kid growing up in the 70s, so the idea of bigfoot seemed VERY real to me back then. It's possible that I simply ASSUMED that the rest of the world was as fascinated by the idea as I was. In reality the whole phenomena may have been as "fringe" as it is today all along. Of course there WERE a number of documentaries and pseudo-documentaries, TV shows (In Search of...), books, magazine articles and the like about bigfoot/Sasquatch/yeti that came out then. It certainly seems like a LOT more coverage than the occassional cable special or news blurb we see today.

Of course while bigfoot may not be in the public eye as much these days, it is easier than ever to find information about it--thanks to the internet.

I guess what I was saying above about not expecting to ever hear any "conclusive" evidence either way was based on the fact that pretty much ANY new report (whether a sighting, new photos, new video footage, hair samples...) that comes out these days is never followed up on. I will read something in a newspaper or see a little story of interest on the news...and then never hear anything about it again. It seems like many news outlets like to have a little quirky story (like a bigfoot sighting or a story about a dog traveling thousands of miles to be reunited with its family that left it bahind when they moved across the country) to spice up its regular "hard" news--sort of a public interest story. Because this stuff isn't really "news" to them they don't see any reason to treat it as a true news story and follow up on it. Bacause of that I've gotten used to hearing new bigfoot information and then never hearing anything further about it. Of course I do realize that a very large percentage of the evidence must turn out to be hoaxes, or explainable some other way--and at that point, what's the point in reporting on it?

BUT...this doesn't mean that I don't get a little thrill when a new bigfoot story/report comes out (especially when it's from a major, or "reputable" source of news). It is like a little reconnection with my youth, and allows those old beliefs to resurface for a little while. And I can always go to one of the websites dedicated to these types of mysteries to find more indepth information.

And I should also mention that I was excited to hear another report about the "yeti" hairs mentioned above on the radio from CBS news yesterday. At first I thought they were merely reporting the same story the BBC News reported last week--probably to fill space on a slow news day. But then I realized that they were actually giving NEW information. They said that the hairs didn't come from any known primate, and that firther testing and examination by other experts would be necessary. Wow! A follow-up to a bigfoot story! Who knows, maybe this will actually turn out to be something... :shock:

Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next