View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Fright Night / Saturday Night Dead 2009 

Fright Night / Saturday Night Dead 2009
Week of January 2-3

Fright Night Chiller Theatre
Brotherhood of Blood (2007, 90 mins.; released 2008)

Claustrophobic thriller about a team of vampire hunters who infiltrate a nest of undead to rescue one of their own.. [imdb.com]
Notes: Part of a wave of DVD releases by Ghost House Underground, Sid Haig and Ken Foree are reteamed from The Devil’s Rejects and given big fangs, and pursued by Victoria Pratt. The film jumps back in forth in sequence (I won’t say ‘time’), and though I think I know what happened, I couldn’t begin to explain the action or plot. If not for Victoria Pratt, I wouldn’t have paid as much attention to this cheap but OK movie. Based on this, I’m not sure how intent I am to view other entries from Ghost House Underground --- we’ll see.
Z: 2.5

Saturday Night Dead
Zombie Strippers (2008, 94 mins.)

In the not too distant future a secret government re-animation chemo-virus gets released into conservative Sartre, Nebraska and lands in an underground strip club. As the virus begins to spread, turning the strippers into "Super Zombie Strippers" the girls struggle with whether or not to conform to the new "fad" even if it means there's no turning back. Written by Anonymous. [imdb.com]
Notes: Well, really, what could you expect watching this? After about an hour I thought, “It’s ONLY been an hour?” The plot … come on, you know there is NO plot … the plot is barely here, only to serve for reason for nudity and lots of fun, ridiculous, over the mountain top, buckets of gore. Still, it’s a battle to get through this gore of a movie. Robert Englund is here to provide horror legitimacy, and Jenna Jameson for the stripper legitimacy (guess who succeeds, at both, more?).
Z: 1.5; SND Rating: 4.5

CINEMA 52: Movies A to Z
Check out descriptions at IMDB.com. For FYI and CDF, just a list and quick rating.
The Air I Breathe (7.5)

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Fright Night / Saturday Night Dead 2009
Haven't seen either of these. I put "Zombie Strippers" in my Netflix queue a while back. It sounds like it could be some fun, but then again... Maybe I won't get around to that one for a while.

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:22 pm

Week of January 9-10

The X-Files: I Want to Believe (2008, 108 mins. DC )

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson re-team to unravel a bizarre case right out of The X-Files. In the blink of an eye, amidst a bone-chilling cold and an eerily deceptive calm, FBI agent Monica Bannan is mysteriously abducted. But this is no ordinary kidnapping. And not only does the search for the missing woman ignite sparks between partners Scully and Mulder, it defies the boundaries of science, the supernatural and the terrifying spaces in between. [DVD]
Notes: I want to believe I didn’t wait 10 years and waste two more hours in addition to that for this movie. At best, this would have been a mildly entertaining episode of the regular series, and certainly not worthy of the wait and budget for Chris Carter’s second big screen installment of the modern-day, sci-fi classic. In other words: Wow, what a boring disappointment. I’m at a loss for words to even describe anything that happens, because I’m pretty sure nothing does happen. Scully is a doctor, Mulder is a bitter recluse, the FBI wants to forever forget the X-Files, and the viewer/fan probably couldn’t care less. Disappointing and sad.
Z: 2.0

Saturday Night Dead
Attack of the Aztec Mummy (1957, 80 mins.)

Dr. Almada attempts to prove his theory that people can be regressed to past lives by hypnotizing his lover Flor. Finding out that in a previous life Flor was the Aztec maiden Xochitl, killed and entombed for having an illicit affair with the warrior Popoca, Almada is able to find the tomb and with it two valuable pieces of jewelry, which he steals. His problems have just begun, however, as taking the jewelry triggers the revivication of Popoca, the living mummy. Written by Doug Sederberg [email protected]}. [imdb.com]
Notes: One of the funniest, most entertaining schlock horror films of all-time is The (Rock and Roll) Wrestling Women vs. the Aztec Mummy. So naturally, when I snatched up the three-movie box set: The Aztec Mummy, I had grand expectations. Well, this first movie is just really bland. A villain called The Bat wants the lost Aztec treasure, and a professor who wants to prove he can make people acknowledge past lives through hypnosis is the key. Oh yeah, and there’s a mummy too, that doesn’t show up for an hour, and then it’s during overly dark night scenes. Subtitled, to make the experience a little more taxing..
Z: 1.5

Check out descriptions at IMDB.com. For FYI and CDF, just a list and quick rating.
The Air I Breathe (7.5)
The Bank Job (8.0)

Last edited by Uncle POE on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:49 am

the aztec mummy movies are pretty bad but will give you a chuckle. :lol:

Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:38 pm

Week of January 16-17

Mirrors (2008, 110 mins.)

In New York, the former NYPD detective Ben Carson is hired to work as night watch of the remains of the Mayflower Department Store that was partially destroyed by fire many years ago. After a couple of nights, Ben sees weird images in the mirrors, but due to the lack of credibility of his past, his ex-wife Amy believes he has hallucinations as a side effect of his medication. When his sister Angie is found brutally murdered in her bathtub, Ben discovers that there is an evil force in the mirror that is chasing him and jeopardizing his family. Written by Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [imdb.com/edited]
Notes: Interesting horror film, with a few very cool scenes of horror. It's well-done, and well-executed though it's hard to see Keifer Sutherland without thinking " 24 ". Its weakness is trying to completely explain the weirdness, and it gets a little too convvoluted to be satisfactory.
Z: 6.0

Saturday Night Dead
Midnight Kiss (1993, 85 mins.)

A modern vampire is killing people and sucking blood in the city. The police can't stop him, because of his wits and strength. One night, fighting with a police woman, the vampire bites her, but instead of becoming a new mistress for him, this woman becomes a super vampi-cop. Written by Luis Carvacho [email protected]}. [imdb.com]
Notes: This is a really bad movie, from an era before CGI and direct-to-video/dvd, so in a really bizarre way, it has a certain ... well, charm. Not charming in a so-bad-its-funny manner, just more in the effort it took to make it. It reminds me of a time when you actually had to go to a movie theater to enjoy a bad movie. But again, it's a BAD movie. So, no surprise not many if any one involved with this movie has only this on their imdb resume. The two stars, Michelle Owens and Gregory A. Greer, have this movie listed as their only work on imdb.com. Owens gives her all in this tired, uninspired plot, but she is still not a very good actress. Greer gives what I believe to be the absolute worst performance of a vampire --- ever.
Z: 1.0; SND Rating: 5.0

The Air I Breathe (7.5)
The Bank Job (8.0)
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Week of January 23-24

Society (1989, 99 mins.)

Even though he’s from a wealthy family, teenager Bill Whitney (Billy Warlock of Baywatch and General Hospital) just can’t see to fit in among the mysterious upper class of Beverly Hills. But when he learns that his parents and sister may be involved in secret sexual depravity, Bill begins to suspect that rich people are indeed very different from the rest of us. Can Bill escape his initiation in to a nightmare world of privileged perversion or will he be forced to make the ultimate contribution to Society. [DVD]
Notes: OK, what in the Hell did I just watch? The first two-thirds of this Brian Yuzna-flick is mostly timid, lame, and full of alluded perversion; the final third is one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen. I’m not even going to attempt to describe what I saw, because I’m not sure I can. This isn’t really worth watching on the whole, but you have to watch to see the horror payoff that goes beyond any visual insanity you will ever see … or even want to see..
Z: 2.5

Saturday Night Dead
They Saved Hitler’s Brain (1968, 93 mins.)

At the end of World War II a fanatical group of Nazi Doctors decapitate Hitler’s head in a last ditch effor to save his rainfor future use. Twenty years later their insane plan for world domination is ready for action! Filmed in the style of a Saturday matinee serial, this movie has been critically “acclaimed” as one of the silliest motion pictures ever made! [DVD]
Notes: Not much more than crime-laced melodrama for the first half of this movie, but once a new Nazi gang is exposed, the melodrama is infused with complete absurdity. The title is very misleading – it’s not Hitler’s Brain … it’s Hitler’s entire, eye-rolling head! Watching a Nazi drive and talk to the liquid-filled glass casing with the Fuehrer’s perfectly preserved melon is alone worth watching. The DVD is a double-feature (with The Frozen Dead), and claims this movie to be right up there with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and Plan 9 from Outer Space; well, I wouldn’t go that far, but it should be required viewing for any connoisseur of bad cinema.
Z: 3.0

The Air I Breathe (7.5)
The Bank Job (8.0)
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (9.0) - highly recommended, even more so for those who remember and loved The Gong Show
DreamGirls (8.0)

Last edited by Uncle POE on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:27 am

never seen They Saved Hitler’s Brain. can we get a review after you see it?

thanks

Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:11 am

Same here Uncle POE. I've read about "They Saved Hitler's Brain" but haven't seen it. Let us know if it's as bad as it seems like it must be (and whether its a "good" or "bad" kind of bad for that matter :wink: ).

Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:28 am

Col. Manning wrote:
Same here Uncle POE. I've read about "They Saved Hitler's Brain" but haven't seen it. Let us know if it's as bad as it seems like it must be (and whether its a "good" or "bad" kind of bad for that matter :wink: ).

Me too. I still have the copy of Fantastic Films from the early 80's which featured a wonderful article on the worst movies ever made and They Saved Hitler's Brain was one of them. Ever since reading that article, I've been dying to see this movie (along with The Creeping Terror)!

Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:10 pm

I first saw THEY SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN as part of "The Canned Film Festival" on WLVI one Saturday night in the mid-80s. Goofy indeed.

I haven't seen it since then, but I recently picked up the BCI Drive-In collection that features both THEY SAVED and its earlier cut under a different title (THE MADMEN OF MANDORAS).

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:24 pm

Re: THE MADMEN OF MANDORAS

Hey Mark, ... interesting note about the title, which makes some sense now. IMDB has it listed as filmed in 1963, though the DVD clearly has it dated 1968 (which is what I went with). But it seems to be something filmed in '63 rather than '68 (black-and-white, styles, etc.).

Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Week of Jan. 30-31

Dr. Blood’s Coffin (1961, 92 mins.)

People are mysteriously disappearing near a remote Cornish village, where a small-town doctor's experiments leave a trail of dead bodies as he experiments with reviving the dead. [edited from various]
Notes: Here is a case of memory being better than reality. I remember seeing this movie one Saturday afternoon, and remember being stunned by 'open-heart' scene, and over the years, that memory along with the title, has built a fondness in my mind for this movie. Well, it's a very average, low-budget movie It was kind of a bummer revisiting this movie.
Z: 2.0

Saturday Night Dead
Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla (2004, 107 mins.)

When Mothra went into outer space to stop a meteor from reaching Earth, she accidentally took with her cells from Godzilla and the remaining cells from Biollante that inhabited our atmosphere. The combined cells went through a black hole and created a new creature, Space Godzilla. Space Godzilla heads to Earth to confront Godzilla, Junior Godzilla, and the new G-Force robot, MOGERA. Written by Todd A. Bobenrieth [email protected]} [imdb.com]
Notes: Except for flying around looking like a gigantic, crystal flower, I kinda liked how "Space Godzilla" looked. It's hilarious how the scientists theorized how the creature came to be and thus obviously named "Space Godzilla." But it's par for the course since not much of anything makes sense in this film, even with the low threshold of logic I give to any 'Big Critter' movie. As a side note, I generally find myself not liking the recent round of Godzilla movies as much as the originals, but I still watch ... Except for the epic "Godzilla: Final Wars", which has become an all-time favorite.
Z: 3.5

The Air I Breathe (7.5)
The Bank Job (8.0)
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (9.0) - highly recommended, even more so for those who remember and loved The Gong Show
DreamGirls (8.0)
Equilibrium (9.0) - Excellent Future Apocalyptic Society et al film.

Last edited by Uncle POE on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:43 pm

didn't really like Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:31 pm

astroal wrote:
didn't really like Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla

Me neither...I thought "Space Godzilla" looked lame too

Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:56 am

As much as I love Godzilla, and was happy to see so many G movies released over teh past couple of decades, the classic series (50s to 70s) are really the only ones for me. Nothing against the new ones. I'm certainly happy to watch them and all...

Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next