View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:05 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 In Search Of... On DVD! 

Re: In Search Of... On DVD!
Thanks Al!

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:38 am

I'm eagerly awaiting your review Col. as I have the set sitting in my Amazon wishlist.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:56 am

Early reports are good. The set looks good. It's a sturdy, well-illustrated box that contains seven DVD cases (which contain three DVDs each). The first six cases contain the six seasons of the show. The seventh case has the eight episodes of the 2002 revival of the show as well as the two Rod Serling-hosted specials that preceded "In Search of...". Unfortunately there are no special features of any kind beyond the stuff in the seventh DVD case. I really wish there had been some kind of "update" featurette and/or something featuring Leonard Nimoy talking about his experiences with the show. Since many of the mysteries of the show have been solved, answered or de-bunked since it aired all those years ago, you'd think it would be a good idea to give some kind of update on some of them. Also, there is no booklet included (or even liner notes) that could have given more information/facts about the show, its history, Leonard Nimoy, Alan Landsburg... Oh well. Of course the most important thing of all is the show itself, and the set certainly provides that. As has been mentioned in the reviews already up, the material VEI had to work with wasn't the highest quality stuff. Considering that the show was filmed more than thirty years ago--for television--I really don't think that it looks bad at all. The most important thing for me was to actually see the old opening and closing credits with that music. Having those elements and all the Nimoy stuff that was cut out of the cable re-packaging of the show is just awesome. And it probably wouldn't really look right if it was TOO high in quality. This show really looks like it did back in the day when we'd watch it on pre-cable TV. And that's not saying it looks "bad", just not 100% "perfect" by today's standards. there are also no commentary tracks (not too surprising, but it would have been cool to hear Leonard Nimoy doing a commentary track on a few choice episodes) and no subtitles.

I've only been able to sample the first disc so far, but I can address a problem mentioned in a couple of the early reviews. When I put the disc in my cheapie DVD player it made a lot of noise (the DVD player itself). The menu screen was noisy and the first episode was as well. I was starting to get very nervous, but the second episode was quite a bit quieter. It still made noise, but wasn't as unwatchable as the first episode. By the third episode the problem seemed to clear up completely. It seemed strange that it would progressively get better like this, but it did. I even went back and forth from episode to episode and menu screen and it was always the same. I do have a higher-quality VCR/DVD recorder combo machine that I don't use very often. But when I put the first disc in that machine there were no problems at all. It was totally quiet in the machine. This is one that upgrades the quality of the DVD and I have it connected by an HDMi cable. This seems to make a difference, as the show seemed to look quite a bit better than it did on my cheapo DVD player. I haven't checked out the rest of the show or the "bonus" stuff in the seventh DVD case yet. Will report anything interesting and/or disappointing about them when I get to them.

One more semi-complaint on the rushed feel of the set (because of the lack of liner notes and special features) is that it doesn't have any chapter stops. You click on an episode on the menu screen and it starts right up. You have to fast-forward or rewind to navigate through the show. Not a huge thing at all, but worth mentioning.

I guess the bottom line is that this is a great set for anyone who has fond memories of growing up with "In Search of..." back in the CDF days. I couldn't imagine someone much younger being interested in it. It does look dated and it does seem like much of the information is outdated and unreliable. For me that's not only not a problem, it adds to the charm and nostalgia of the show. I never really thought an official "In Search of..." set would ever see the light of day (mainly because of the volume of episodes and the outdated nature of it all). I can't really imagine NOT buying this set myself. Now that the material is finally "out there" it will probably become easier to find on places like YouTube, which would obviously be a much cheaper option for people less interested in the show than myself who just want to check it out rather than making such a big monetary investment in it. But if you can spare the money (especially if you can find a good deal) I really do feel that it's worth it. It might become cheaper after some time passes, but I thought the $89.95 price from VEI (especially with the free shipping) was a good deal. Of course the fact that it came out around Christmas made it that much easier to justify the purchase!

Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:57 pm

I remember all too well the Big Foot episode! If the Amazon price comes down a bit I'll definitely grab this set. Hopefully it won't be one of those limited releases, which will then cost triple a few years later.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:28 am

Sounds like just what I wanted so far Col but just waiting to see if the price dips to the $60 - $80 range. I've never spent more than $75 on any DVD set that I can recall.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:16 pm

It really is a great set for folks like us that grew up back then. The price is obviously a concern, but I was pretty happy spending the $89.95 (with free shipping) to get it right away and just in case it went out of print quickly. Of course if it ends up dropping to $39.99 or something like that I'll wish I had waited. But I'm very glad to be able to FINALLY be able to watch these episodes again. The funny thing is that I already have the whole series. I bought the set cobbled together from the History Channel and A&E re-cut versions from iOffer a couple years ago. I was excited to get that opportunity, but to be honest I never really got into actually watching many of the episodes. Even though the bulk of them were what we saw back in the 70s and 80s the lack of original opening and closing credits and music (especially the music!) and the cutting of some of Nimoy's onscreen appearances really detracted from it. It's really been worth the money to get the set again--finally done right!

Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:41 pm

Well, I still haven't gotten around to writing a full review of the "In Search of..." set. But while waiting to do that I finally managed to get around to editing together an unboxing video. The set arrived on December 23rd and I opened it up on the 24th. I know unboxing videos aren't for everyone, but figured this would be a good way for folks who are interested in this set but can't justify buying it themselves at the moment to get a bit of the feeling of receiving the package in the mail and opening it up.

Warning: I did add a few minutes of boring pre-opening footage giving a background to the show for folks who aren't familiar with it. Don't worry, the box DOES eventually get opened up!

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:02 pm

I really enjoyed that unboxing video. Well done Glen! I was also particularly impressed with those DVD box covers you created for the ones you bought from iOffer. They look quite professional in layout and composition.

RE: Rod Serling's In Search Of
I didn't know he made two TV movies and was originally to be the host for the show. I think having them included in this collection (and the Mich Pilegi episodes) make this as complete as possible. I would really like to see those Serling TV movies....

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:24 pm

neato!

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words Beastball. I put a lot fo non-expert time into making those DVD covers. I don't really know anything about doing stuff like that. I'm sure there's good programs out there that can help whip up pro-looking DVD covers, but I didn't have access to any. Instead I used Microsoft Publisher and just kind of put it all together by scratch. I was happy with how they turned out, but wonder how good they would have looked if I had the knowledge and had done it "right". It's funny because I was VERY excited to get that set (even though it was simply twenty blank DVDs recorded by someone with the re-cut cable versions of "In Search of...". Considering that I couldn't really imagine anyone ever actually putting out a legit set of the show it seemed like it was the best thing I could hope for. Buying the boxes and putting the covers together made it feel just a little bit more "real". Even though the shows were re-edited and it was obvious that they were ripped from tapes of the show aired on History and A&E, at least it was still the show at heart and it did include ALL the episodes in the correct order. Certainly worth the twenty or so bucks I spent on the set. The strange thing is that, as excited as I was to finally own and be able to watch "In Search of..." after all those years...I never really watched too many of them. I saw a couple choice episodes I really wanted to see and attempted to watch it all from the beginning (only getting three or four episodes in). I guess the "fakeness" of it all still shone through. With VEI finally releasing the series as it was originally seen I had no problem shelling out quite a bit more for something I already "owned". It just seems so awesome that it's all uncut and on a legit release!

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:28 pm

There's a really nice review (and a chance to win a set) over at trekmovie.com.

http://trekmovie.com/2013/01/24/review-in-search-of-the-complete-collection-your-chance-to-win/

Hurry though, the contest ends on Sunday, January 25!

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:20 am

Thanks Beastball. While putting off writing a complete review myself it didn't even occur to me that I could post some others here.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:11 am

Hey everyone. I posted this in the sale thread here, but figured it was worth mentioning in this one too. I know skorch and CDF Fan had mentioned they'd be interested in this set if the price went down. I would have loved that too, but didn't want to take any chances of it going out of print or something and becoming extremely hard to find and/or extremely expensive. Well, turns out it was a good idea to wait. I just saw at the VEI website that the "In Search of..." set has plummeted in price all the way down to $59.95!!! This doesn't seem to be a sale, and I have no idea when it went to this price, but it's there now. Oh, and they're currently offering free shipping on orders over $50.00 to make it an even sweeter deal! Hey, Christmas is right around the corner...

http://www.visualentertainment.tv/collections/carousel/products/in-search-of-with-leonard-nimoy

It's a GREAT deal, but I can't help but feel a little sad about it--and maybe a bit sorry for VEI (the company that put it out). It doesn't seem that any of their other sets have gone down quite as much as this one. Either they just wanted to make some big profit when it first came out and it has now settled to where it should have been all along, or this is an indication of just how "niche" of a thing this set really is. The very limited (I'd assume) target audience of people who loved the show back then and who'd be excited to see it on DVD has already stepped up and bought their sets. I can't really see a show like this (as dated as it is) being a very big seller to the general population. I'm still just VERY glad that VEI decided to go ahead and produce the set anyway.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Thanks for posting the link Col.! I purchased the set about 10 minutes ago and I may substitute In Search Of for the The Three Stooges on NYE. I have tickets to the Bruins game on the 31st, but the thought of trying to make it out of Boston that night doesn't sit well with me. I only purchased them when I heard First Night was cancelled, but of course it is back on now.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:10 am

I'd hate to see you miss a chance to watch the B's on New Year's Eve, but if you do decide to skip the game might I suggest watching BOTH the Stooges and "In Search of..."? They're both great old shows that recall a great time in Boston-area TV. And, if you usually watch the Stooges marathons on WSBK that's a great tradition that really has strong roots with those old day we CDF fans feel a great nostalgia for--being as that it's a long-standing tradition in itself AND it's on the same channel that many of us watched the Stooged on back in the day. Last year I brought my then-brand-new "In Search of..." set to show off to my friend, at whose house we've been doing the New Year's Eve thing for many years. After watching the Stooges and seeing the ball drop on the first New Year's Rockin' Eve WITHOUT **** clark we watched a couple of favorite "In Search of..." episodes very late at night. One of the classic ghost episodes was still kinda creepy, even after all these years, when watched at 2:30 in the morning!

Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2