View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:08 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Legendary Pictures Godzilla 

Re: Legendary Pictures Godzilla
Daimajinbob wrote:

Looks like whatever article that was posted there, has been pulled.

Attachment:
sequel-article.png
sequel-article.png [ 433.02 KiB | Viewed 645 times ]

I tried both IE and Chrome thinking something might be screwy with the webpage.

Sun May 18, 2014 4:01 pm

like it or loathe the good thing about this film being a hit is... all of the old godzilla flicks should finally get decent releases on blu ray

somebody get the original godzilla vs mechagdozilla out on blu ray!!!!

Sun May 18, 2014 6:43 pm
Site Admin

Everyone has been complaining about amount of screen time Godzilla got. I went in knowing this would be an 'origin film' When you think about it, Godzilla probably had the same amount of screen time in the original 1954 film. I think Gareth Edwards did a pretty good job in building the suspense, making the audience wait for the arrival of Godzilla and it paid off. Now that audiences know what this version of Godzilla can do, they can go all out in the next film.

Sun May 18, 2014 8:32 pm

I was thinking the same thing today. Now that the "this is who Godzilla is" (for those who've lived under a rock for the last 50 years or don't know how to use a computer)
is out of the way, we can disperse with the origin and get on with the fun. Very much like the recent superhero reboots.

Sun May 18, 2014 8:35 pm

I saw the IMAX 3D version last week but wanted to reflect a little before posting my opinion of it.
On a scale of 1 - 10 I give it a 7.

Spoilers ahead

I enjoyed:

The reveal of the opposing monsters, the fact they spawned from the ground was kind of eerie and reminded me of Rodan.

Brian Cranston and his wife's characters, well acted by both.

Cinematography, locations chosen and framing were excellent and made the film more immersive.

Story and tension built up nicely, too bad it lost momentum (more on that below)

Sound effects and design were good, not as powerful as Pacific Rim but pretty strong overall.

Godzilla's entrance at the Golden Gate Bridge was pretty damned cool.

Godzilla's design. Menacing and powerful, moved quickly enough for battle but not too quickly.

Monster battle shots were pulled back far enough to see, not all at night, well choreographed and shakey-cam was minimal.

CGI was on-par with WETA Workshop's best, A+

I did not enjoy:

The character development, Brian Cranston and his wife's characters were the only people I cared about in this movie and they were killed off in the first half hour. Every other actor tried their best but were wasted on cardboard cutout characters.

The opposing monster designs were too outlandish and awkward looking, reminded me of the creature in Cloverfield with their weird limbs (maybe they are from outer-space?). The fact they were animated as well as WETA made up for the lazy design.

The story started to lose it's way once Brian Cranston died. Instead of shifting the focus to Dr. Serizawa and the scientific attempts at stopping the monster the story revolved around Cranston's soldier son's efforts to get to his family. What took me out of the story was he kept surviving these unbelievable close encounters with the monsters.

Music and Godzilla's roar. I thought the roar was over-processed and the music didn't stick with me at all. I know not all of Ifukube's original score would have worked but I think if the original roar and theme were used to punctuate his entrance it would have had a big audience reaction.

I was pretty disappointed after seeing some of the post-rampage scenes of destruction and the trailers that the story wasn't more like the original in theme. I wanted Godzilla to be nature's revenge on mankind instead of the hero at the end, this probably should have been the sequel to that so I'm not sure of where they can go from here.
Overall to me the good outweighed the bad and I'm going to try to catch it on the big screen one more time (preferably the drive-in).

Last edited by skorch on Sat May 24, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 23, 2014 4:37 pm

spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........
spoilers...........

i love bryan cranston's ranting.

he rants great. yes he did die too quickly.

for me the whole abandoned city thing was really wild and eerie. really liked that.

yes the music was forgettable.

i did like that bryan cranstons kid destroyed the eggs. getting his revenge for mom and dad.

Sat May 24, 2014 12:13 am

Saw it last night (yes, I know I was leaning towards seeing the sequel and skipping this one) but after reading the reviews and lowering my expectations, the movie wasn't half bad. I don't know if it was clever or not by teasing us and not showing the first battles. I was a little annoyed how they would show the battles in the background on the TVs and then shift the focus away from it, but it did make the final battles more enjoyable when we finally saw them.

Really impressed with all the CGI. Godzilla to me looked like a real, living creature. All the subtle facial expressions, the labored breathing after the fights, the way his jaw and neck muscles moved as he roared, etc. All the things not possible with a man in a rubber suit.

Agreed that the MUTOs had a more than passing resemblence to the Cloverfield creature--not my favorite design. Hopefully if there's a sequel, we'll see another classic TOHO monster. However, I DO NOT want Godzilla turned into some kind of hero and protector of Earth. I wan't him to do his own thing with little regard for us. They kind of leaned towards the hero thing at the end with people cheering for Godzilla. Speaking of the ending, did anyone else find it odd and abrupt? Godzilla wakes up, roars, and dives into the water. The End. I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't that.

I had to roll my eyes at how closely the carrier task force was following Godzilla; they were literally right over him as he swam along. Would you risk an aircraft carrier on an unpredictable giant destructive creature by being so close to it?

Anyone else see the Godzilla '98 poster? It was at the beginning of the movie in young Ford Brody's room in Japan. It's a silhouette, but the profile of the Iguana face is unmistakably that of the '98 Godzilla.

Sat May 24, 2014 11:52 am

i missed the poster. will have to look for it when i watch it again.

one thing that floored me and i thought was incredible was how godzilla dispatched the female creature.

Sat May 24, 2014 12:37 pm

Agreed...atomic breath down her throat was a sight to behold.

I may use that as my next Avatar

Sat May 24, 2014 12:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7