View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:30 pm

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Life's Simple Pleasures 

Re: Life's Simple Pleasures
I love Sundays during football season.

The whole day is perfect.

After sleeping in, I leisurely get up 10ish, put on the gameday's preview on WEEI and brew coffee. Sweatpants/shirt is today's attire. Then I settle back to peruse the football forums with a stop over here (like now!). Then at noon I put on the pregame show on TV and settle back for 12 HOURS of gridiron bliss. Sometimes I'll make a big late-breakfast or just skip to the snacks later in the day.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:24 am

THe funny thing is that I HATED sports as a kid. I was never very good at actually playing any of them. I didn't follow any of them on TV (and subsequently didn't really understand many of the rules that I'd need to know to really enjoy watching them) and generally felt that it was a waste of TV time that could be better filled with cartoons, monster movies or anything else that I actually liked to watch. I remember hating Monday Night Football because it always came on around the time I was supposed to be going to bed and always seemed to have homework that I needed to do. Monday was already the worst day of the week and MNF just made it worse!

Of course now I'm a big fan of most of the major sports and follow all of our New England teams. I didn't really learn to appreciate them until I was stationed in Kentucky in the Army and realized how lucky we were in New England to have the red Sox, Celtics, Bruins and Patriots (even though they sucked back then). Now I would be perfectly happy to spend an entire Sunday just as you described it Beastball! While the Pats are of course my favorite I can pretty much sit through any NFL game. That would have seemed to foreign to young-me. As much as I enjoy watching football though it's pretty much only NFL. I can't get into college football at all.

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:41 pm

The only sport I consistantly followed and played as a kid was hockey. Not organized hockey, but games played with neighborhood kids. We lived right next to a pond, so we played ice hockey in the winter and street hockey the rest of the year. Sure, we played an occasional game of baseball or football, but not alot compared to hockey. As for watching sports on TV, the Bruins on TV38 was a must to watch. I remember there were occasional games on NBC in the early 70's (with Peter Puck) that I watched.
As a youngster, rarely would I watch baseball on TV (too boring) and even rarer football (hard to understand). Later on, I did watch basketball during the Bird era, and it wasn't until 1985-86 when the Sox went to the World Series and the Patriots made it to the Superbowl that I watched either team play (the playoff runs of both teams was quite exciting!). Of course, when both teams lost in such crushing ways, I lost interest again.
It wasn't until Bill Parcells and Drew Bledsoe arrived around 1993 that I took the Patriots seriously (remember they almost moved to St. Louis at that time). And through watching the Patriots, I ended up falling in love with the game and enjoy watching it regardless of whos playing (for the most part).
I also started watching more baseball around 1994 on a whim, really. I was channel surfing and stopped on TV38 which was showing a game between the Sox and Indians. I'm not sure what possessed me but I started watching. It was played at Cleveland in a steady rain. The Sox were up big and there was hardly anyone left in the stands. After that I watched more games and got hooked for good--even though they cancelled the World Series that year. Back then I could watch all the away games on TV38 and listen to the home games on the radio. Then slowly 38 showed less and less games until they were down to one game a week (on Friday). Thanks to the Internet, I'm able to catch the games again, though admittedly I purposely skipped all Red Sox games this year for the crappy way they dismissed Francona and hiring that loser Valetine. Turned out I was right to ignore the Sox this year...

I'm also with you, Col.: pro sports all the way. Just can't get into watching college sports. Although, I do enjoy attending minor league games like the Pawsox (who won the Govenor's Cup this year. I went to some of the playoff games, too!), and the Providence Bruins.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:02 am

I was going to post something new in the Simple Pleasures department and then realized I never responded to this post. It's funny just how similar our sports interests developed Beastball. I also remember finding baseball incredibly boring to watch. As much as I love it now, I never blame anyone for not wanting to watch a game because it's too slow and boring (it's a perfectly understandable complaint). There are plenty of more exciting sports to watch (basketball and football...). I also got temporarily caught up in the Red Sox' and Patriots' runs to their respective championship series in the mid-80s. I'm sure a lot of non-sports fans were also drawn in by all the excitement around the time. I also got into the Celtics Finals appearances in '84 and '86 (but at least they actually won those series and didn't leave us with such crushing defeats).

While none of those sports really stayed with me after those championship games, I did get into all the home teams when I got back from the Army (as described above). Realizing just how lucky we were to have four pro sports teams to follow (including celebrated ones like the Celts, Sox and Bruins) I just got a greater appreciation for them at the time. I started with football and the Patriots. Remember how terrible they were in '89 (when I first started watching them)? By the time Bledsoe came around in '93 I already felt like a long-suffering fan! The measure of respect that Bledsoe and Parcells brought the team (including getting them to the team's second (losing) Super Bowl appearance was pretty nice, but nothing compared to what has happened since the Brady era started!

I was also into the Red Sox when I got back from the Army. One of the guys in my company was a big fan (and he wasn't even from New England). I think he was taken aback that I didn't really follow the team or know all that much about it. I remember following the excitement of "Morgan's Magic" in the summer of 1988 while i was stationed at Fort Knox in Kentucky.

The funny thing is that I not only started following "our" teams when I got out of the Army, I also started collecting sports cards. It started with footbal cards and spread to basketball and baseball. I find this "funny" just because I never collected these cards as a kid. It wasn't until I was a "grown-up" that I got into the hobby.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:15 pm

Oh, and I also enjoy minor league games too. It's so expensive to go to pro sports these days that the price and convenience of minor league games is a big plus. My wife and I used to go to Paw Sox games back in the late-90s/early 2000s. Unfortunately we haven't been down to Pawtucket in a long time. Although I've never really gotten into hockey as much as the other sports, when Worcester got an AHL team The Icecats) I used to love going to their games (especially when they'd play the P-Bruins). The Icecats were affiliated with the St. Louis Blues. They left town after ten years, but were replaced a year or two later by the Worcester Sharks (minor league team of the San Jose Sharks). I liked going to their games as well. Worcester also got an baseball team in 2005 too. They were the Worcester Tornadoes of the independent CanAm league. While not affiliated with MLB it was still fun to watch semi-pro baseball. The team's first manager was Rich Gedman (who is from Worcester) and their first pitching coach was Bob Ojeda. While it was "sub-minor league" it was still exciting to watch. Many of the players were had been property of major league teams at one point or another and were trying to work their way back. A few of the best players would be signed to minor league contracts after the end of each season. Jose Canseco was on the Tornadoes last year in his (apparent) last attempt to work his way back to professional baseball.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:31 pm

Leftover food. While that can be an annoying term for recycling a previous meal to try to save money, it's also one of life's simple pleasures for me when it's particularly good (usually takeout) food that somehow seems to taste even better the second time around. If not better, at least just as good in a different way. The three main categories I can think of are takeout chinese food, takeout pizza (either cold or reheated in a skillet on the stove) and spaghetti--probably the only home-cooked example of something that seems to taste better after sitting in a fridge for a day or two and being reheated.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:10 pm

i would go with chili after a re-heat. chili is always better to me the second time around as it has had time to sit and the flavors blend together better.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:46 am

Oh yeah, chili is a definite add to the list!

I guess what makes this a "simple pleasure" is that you already have this stuff sitting in your fridge, and instead of it being a let down eating leftovers it's actually kind of a treat!

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:32 pm

I LOVE leftover food! Reheated food does sometimes taste better, but I look at the convenience of coming home from work and having an entire meal just waiting for me to reheat it.

I live alone, so when I cook something, I purposely make enough for 2-3 meals. I'll cook a whole box of pasta or a half gallon of chili or an oven stuffer roast chicken. On the rare occasion me and my best friend go out to eat and it's usually Chinese. We always get fried rice, lo mein or chow mein, boneless pork ribs, General Tso's chicken, and egg roll. A ton of food for two people in one sitting, but we do this with leftovers in mind. There will be at least two full plates of food for my friend to come over to have with me. Same thing with pizza--we'll get two large pies (sometimes you get a break in the price the more you order) and some Buffalo Wings. It's way more than we can eat in one sitting, but plenty for leftovers!
Just the other day I used an entire bag of apples to make baked apple chunks with cinnamon sprinkled on top. Not only did I make enough to last a week, but the baked apple chunks sitting in the fridge will absorb more of the cinnamon. They're great topped with some whipped cream or even yogurt (I just take 3-4 spoonfulls of apple chunks and heat in the micrwave for 30 seconds first).

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:18 pm

This might sound corny, but here's another simple pleasure. I always love it when I log onto the CDF board and see a little flurry of recent activity. As we've mentioned many times, this little community of people who came together through the shared experience of loving and growing up with CDF has really boiled down to a small number of active members who post regularly. There may still be some occasional lurkers who read but don't post, but for the most part it seems to be just that main core that spends the most time here. I remember all the activity at the old board--and this one too for the first couple of years. Now you can check in a couple days in a row and not see anything new. It's just the way it is at the moment, but it also makes it all the better when you check in after a couple of days and see seven or eight (or more) new posts to existing threads and maybe a new thread started here or there. It's especially nice when some of the posts are from some of our regulars who don't seem to get a chance to check in very often.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:32 pm

Have to agree with you there, Col., and it's not corny at all. It's unfortunate that most people are lurkers instead or participating, but I'm sure it's like that on most Internent forums. Heck, it's like that on sports radio too. Most people just listen and there is a small core of the same people that phone in.

One of the (many) forums I visit is the Lost in Space Forum:
http://lostinspaceforum.proboards.com/index.cgi

And someone there happened to mention CDF as one their fond childhood memories, so of course I mentioned this forum and invited one and all who remembered CDF or loved monster movies in general to visit us here in hopes to increase participation.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:52 pm

i agree with you too col!

Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Good job on spreading the news Beastball. Hopefully some of those people will find their way here and like what they see. And, you've also given me an idea for a new thread: favorite forums and/or websites. Obviously we all have this site in common and many of us have probably started following other threads based on things mentioned here, but maybe a place where we can all list our regularly visited sites might be a good way to find some new favorites!

I suppose you could think of it as a sort of "Links Page" type of thing. Maybe if it catches on it could even be pinned somewhere to make it easy to access. Just thinking...

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:43 pm

I visit dozens of forums but post regularly to a specific few. Alot of the forums I go to are sports related and the gameday threads while the teams are playing can get quite intense. The rest of the ones I visit probably have to deal with Sci-Fi/Horror in one way or the other. If you create a thread for "Favorite Forums/Websites", I'd be happy to post links to my haunts.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2