View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:05 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 MOVIES! (Channel 25.2) 

MOVIES! (Channel 25.2)
I've been very bad about visiting and posting on the board lately. Sorry about that. Can't promise anything, but hopefully I'll be able to get a little more active again. There's a lot of stuff I'd like to post about, I just haven't found the time.

Anyway, I know that the MOVIES! channel has been mentioned around here somewhere, but I couldn't find a thread dedicated to it, so I started a new one (sorry if it duplicates anything). When MOVIES! (channel 25.2) first premiered in the Boston area I couldn't pick it up on our TV for some reason. We don't have cable, but I've been able to get most of the sub-channels (MeTV, Cozi, this, Decades...). I kept seeing cool stuff was playing on MOVIES!, but no matter how many times I'd re-scan the channels on our TV it just wouldn't show up. Well, at some point it just suddenly showed up and I was psyched. And then, of course, I almost never watched it! Every once in a while there is something good on at a time when I can watch it. But even if I don't tune in often, it's still great to have a movie channel (which concentrates on older movies for the most part) that's available over the air for free!

i remember a few years back when Me-TV (or possibly it was when Rtv was still around here before MeTV took its place) had some Saturday afternoon programming that seemed clearly inspired by the movies that used to be seen on CDF and the other kinds of things you'd see on the weekends on channel 56 and 38 back in those days. I forgot the name of that Saturday afternoon clock (it did have a name and specific time frame), but was reminded of it today when I say what MOVIES! was showing. I don't usually get a chance to sit around on a Saturday afternoon watching TV (despite the nostalgic feeling it could give me, remembering doing just that in the CDF days). But today I was home alone. I thought i'd be going out at some point, but had some stuff to do around the apartment andway, so I ended up staying in. MOVIES! has a Saturday afternoon block of movies called (I believe) "Popcorn Movies". Today it featured the original "The Blob", at 1:00 (great start time, huh?) and the 1988 remake at 3:00. It actually started around 1:30 (I guess MOVIES! is rolling out a new thing where all the movies will always start at the top or bottom of the hour instead of whenever. But that was oool because they put on a few Popeye shorts to take it from 1:00 to 1:30! As if all that wasn't a nostalgic throwback to the old CDF days, after the second Blob movie they started "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" at 5:00. Sounds just like something that would be seen on WLVI as a 4:00 movie after CDF, doesn't it?

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:42 pm

Re: MOVIES! (Channel 25.2)
Glad you're back, Col. Manning! Looking forward to whatever info you post.

BTW, I have good memories of Auburn Mall during the 80's and spending time at the Toys'R'Us across the street.

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:11 am

Thanks Kenny! I remember loving the opportunity to go to any of the Worcester-area malls in the 80s (like the Auburn Mall, Shopper's World in framingham and the Worcester Galleria). As mundane as it seems nowadays, it was a special treat to be able to go somewhere like that back then which had so many stores in one place--especially cool places like Walden Books, Spencer's Gifts, any record store, video stores (a little later) and whatever else they'd have to offer. Plus you could get "special" foods that you wouldn't get every day in the food courts (and neat stuff like Orange Julius!). I'm guessing that you noticed my location as Auburn. That's a reminder to myself that I need to update my account. I grew up in Uxbridge, MA, so any trip to the "big city" of Worcester, or pretty much anywhere else for that matter, was a big deal. The Auburn Mall was kind of like an exotic locale! My wife and I moved to Auburn from Worcester in 2003 shortly after we were married. We bought a house there and had our two daughters while living there. While the mall was no longer a "special destination" by that point, I really liked the fact that I could actually walk to it (it was a LONG walk, but worth it for the convenience and exercise). I'd put my daughters in our double stroller and we'd take a walk to the Auburn Library (and probably pick up a DVD of an old Tom Baker Doctor Who or "Willy Wonks and the Chocolate Factory" or something like that) and then to the Auburn Mall to stroll around for an hour or so in stores like Spencer's, f.y.e. and whatever else looked interesting. Then we'd pick up a couple pretzels from Annie's Pretzels and head back home. I'd like to think that made the mall a bit of a special place for my daughters like it had been for me as a kid (even if I was never able/willing to buy them all the toys they'd want every time we went there!).
In 2012 we moved to Brookline, where we currently are. It's obviously a much more vibrant and exciting area to be living in (close to Boston and walking distance from Coolidge Corner and the T). It's a great (if expensive) place to live. We can walk nearly everywhere we need to go and can take the T into Boston to go to the Museum of Science whenever we want. But there's a little part of me that misses the small town life in Auburn (I suppose it's mainly the fact that we had our own house and little yard where we were raising our girls rather than being in an apartment building).

Anyway, sorry if that was way more information than you expected to get. I just saw the Auburn Mall reference and got to thinking...

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks for sharing the memories, Col.!

Being out here on the West Coast makes it a lot more difficult to find people that even know the name of Creature Double Feature! And it's good to hear your stories of Auburn Mall and the other great shopping areas from the past. The Auburn Mall was a favorite destination (And that Toys'R'Us across the street, where I got into my first fender-bender while exiting the parking lot), Spag's was a favorite place for years (sorry to read that if was finally demolished recently), but the Worcester Center Galleria and the arcades just outside the Galleria have some of my favorite memories of those days.

Does anyone remember Mr. Big's Toyland? I remember the TV advertisement (https://youtu.be/FCERFslrYr4) but never got a chance to visit that store. That store is the stuff of legend, especially for a 8 year old during the 70's.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:17 pm

col you live in walking distance of the coolidge?!
i'd be there every week if i was that close.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]