View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:26 pm

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 MST3K return? 

MST3K return?
Temporarily, unless this is a joke:

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2014/03/m ... aphic.html

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:49 pm

Re: MST3K return?
Will this be a true MST presentation that includes the Bots, or a Rifftrax "from the guys of MST3K" that has voices only?
Either way, it's their voices (and their riffs) that matter most. I don't have cable so hopefully these eventually show up on the Net in some form or other.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:33 pm

From the wiki post:

"In conjunction with the National Geographic Channel, Nelson, Corbett, and Murphy will be part of a 3-part television special, "Total Riff Off" to air on the channel on April 1, 2014. Each part will be one hour long, and will have the three riffing on older National Geographic footage."

I can't imagine which Nat Geo episodes would be fun to riff on. The Mutual of Omaha series with Marlin Perkins would have been much better in my opinion, if that's the type of features they're doing. I'll watch regardless because TV in general sucks these days.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:48 pm

Yeah, wasn't Marlin's young assistant named Jim and he'd be the one doing all the hazardous stuff? I seem to remember a number of jokes made of this.

Also, wasn't he a repeat guest on Johnny Carson where he'd bring in some animals...and they'd usually do something Carson would get a big laugh from?

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:02 pm

Beastball, I think you're referring to Jack Hanna?
On the subject of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, that was an awesome show, even if it's dated now.

I don't have cable either so hopefully this shows up online at some point.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:19 pm

would be neat to see this but the date is april 1st so is the whole thing just a gag?

Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:06 am

It is actually going to be broadcast. Episode 1: Killer Shrimp N' Friends, Episode 2: Demon Bat & Episode 3: Guy and a Goose.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:04 pm

Beastball wrote:
Will this be a true MST presentation that includes the Bots, or a Rifftrax "from the guys of MST3K" that has voices only?
Either way, it's their voices (and their riffs) that matter most. I don't have cable so hopefully these eventually show up on the Net in some form or other.

This is a very interesting development, and I have to ask the same question that Beastball did. The article seems to indicate that the Rifftrax crew will actually be riffing as Mike, Crow and Tom. Don't know if that means that they'll simply be doing their regular Rifftrax voiceover or if they'll be doing that same format--but AS Mike and the bots rather than Mike, Kevin and Bill. And if they ARE doing it as MST3K characters, will they be doing it in the silhouette format we all know and love? It's not very clear. It seems like there'd be some sort of rights or intellectual property issues with using the characters and images associated with the original show. Who knows, maybe there has been some sort of thaw in the relations of all the cast members (and rights owners, lawyers, agents...) that's allowing some cool stuff to become available for longtime fans of the show. MST3K is over 25 years old now. There seemed to be a pretty big celebration of the anniversary last fall which culminated with Joel chatting online about the show and making new host segments for the really cool Turkey Day Marathon on Thanksgiving. I found that to be a major step in getting the show (or at least the characters and ideas behind the show) back in the public eye in an active way. This could be another big step in that direction (along with the return of the regular show to RetroTV)! But at the same time I suppose I could find myself on April 1st feeling like a fool.

I also don't have cable, so hopefully this will all happen, and then become available in some other format (DVD, online streaming, availability through Netflix...) for everyone else.

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:37 am

Col. Manning wrote:
Beastball wrote:

This is a very interesting development, and I have to ask the same question that Beastball did. The article seems to indicate that the Rifftrax crew will actually be riffing as Mike, Crow and Tom. Don't know if that means that they'll simply be doing their regular Rifftrax voiceover or if they'll be doing that same format--but AS Mike and the bots rather than Mike, Kevin and Bill. And if they ARE doing it as MST3K characters, will they be doing it in the silhouette format we all know and love? It's not very clear. It seems like there'd be some sort of rights or intellectual property issues with using the characters and images associated with the original show. Who knows, maybe there has been some sort of thaw in the relations of all the cast members (and rights owners, lawyers, agents...) that's allowing some cool stuff to become available for longtime fans of the show. MST3K is over 25 years old now. There seemed to be a pretty big celebration of the anniversary last fall which culminated with Joel chatting online about the show and making new host segments for the really cool Turkey Day Marathon on Thanksgiving. I found that to be a major step in getting the show (or at least the characters and ideas behind the show) back in the public eye in an active way. This could be another big step in that direction (along with the return of the regular show to RetroTV)! But at the same time I suppose I could find myself on April 1st feeling like a fool.

I also don't have cable, so hopefully this will all happen, and then become available in some other format (DVD, online streaming, availability through Netflix...) for everyone else.

Here is the link to the channel and a preview of the show. http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/total-riff-off/videos/badass-dino-bird/

I would check back to the website after the initial broadcast as I assume the full episodes will be available online.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:44 pm

That was pretty neat. Thanks CDF Fan. That clears things up a bit. Seems like it will be a pretty standard Rifftrax-type presentation. I don't have any problem with that, but I think the people who put out the original information probably weren't very well versed in all things MST3K (or at least the post MST3K landscape). It was a bit confusing (and something that ignited some false hopes--in myself at least--that the Rifftrax guys were going to actually resurrect the characters from MST3K. It didn't seem realistic, but that was more or less how it was worded. I know that Rifftrax has done some "different" kinds of things over the years by riffing on big classics and new hit movies along with the standard old bad movies, but this (riffing on National Geographic shows) puts yet another new spin on the format. Looks interesting and I'd definitely be interested in seeing more if it becomes available online or whatever.

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:43 pm

I suppose it's possible to riff on anything, but I think those guys have their work cut out for them. With bad movies, it seems the riffs practically write themselves and there's usually a lot to riff about...with wildlife I don't know if there's enough funny stuff to sustain the riffs.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:39 am

Did anyone get around to watch these?

Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:44 pm

sadly haven't had the time

Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]