View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 My step-mother is dying 
Site Admin

The funeral will be this Saturday

Thu May 22, 2008 6:37 pm

Sorry for your loss, my condolences.

Thu May 22, 2008 6:45 pm
Site Admin

The stuff in Probate
Now that she is gone, her townhouse and car are in probate but there is a problem. Her room mate (who moved in after my father passed away and was a total leech) is now claiming he is entitled to the property. Her Will clearly states, HE GETS NOTHING. The family told him he has to buy it (valued at $60,000) but said he will only pay off the remaining balance. This is where the fight starts. My Stepsister and brothers have made it clear that they want me to buy the townhouse and car, Their main concern is that there are two chairs which have been in their family for over 100 years and a coffee table (like pictured below). They are afraid her room mate will take off with them.

He is basically claiming squatters' rights

Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:34 pm

SCUM BAG! Fight this with everything you got!! :evil:

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:21 pm

Most important was that your step-mom had a will. Was the roommate on the title for the townhouse or car? Don't hesitate on consulting a lawyer and have the executor of the estate perform an inventory ASAP, if one has not already been completed since the will is in probate.

Good luck and best wishes.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:55 am
Site Admin

CDF Fan wrote:
Most important was that your step-mom had a will. Was the roommate on the title for the townhouse or car? Don't hesitate on consulting a lawyer and have the executor of the estate perform an inventory ASAP, if one has not already been completed since the will is in probate.

Nothing was in his name

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:01 am

Daimajinbob wrote:
CDF Fan wrote:

Nothing was in his name

If "he" wasn't named in the will and the will is deemed legal and the townhouse wasn't part of a joint tenancy, meaning that when one owner of a property dies the other owner assumes full responsibility, then "he" doesn't have a legal standing to the property. "He" could still contest the will but the executor of the will is charged with overseeing the deceased's wishes.

The lien holder to the property will not recognize a party that is not legally entitled to the property nor can a transfer of ownership occur. The executor can set the price of the townhouse for the roommate to purchase and that guy shouldn't be dictating what he will or won't do. I would have given him 30 days to vacate and provide proof of ownership for anything he lays claim to.

Just my 2 cents.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:13 am
Site Admin

That is pretty much the consensus of the family. We are waiting for the probate period to end and they are going to tell him pay full price or he has until the end of the month to vacate (after the probate) This guy took full advantage of my stepmother and never helped with anything. Hell he only saw her while she was in the hospital ONCE and asked the nurse 'Is she really sick?'

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:19 am
Site Admin

CDF Fan wrote:

His name was on NOTHING. My stepsister is the executor of the Will. The biggest concerns are the two chairs and the coffee table. As far as the car goes, it has been sitting for a while so I am going to have a lot of work to do to it before we can transfer it to my name

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:28 am

good luck with this.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:38 am
Site Admin

Re: My step-mother is dying
Well it has been a while since this subject was discussed. My step family placed my step mothers ashes in a lake in Louisiana (as per her wishes-same as my dad's) over the weekend. As far as Larry the leech goes, he realized we were going to fight so he ran off like a dog with his tail between his legs.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: My step-mother is dying
good. glad the jerk didn't get anything.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3