View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:20 pm

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Mystery CDF Movie (Title Help Request) 

Mystery CDF Movie (Title Help Request)
Alright, here's a mystery that has bugged me for some time and I hope it will ring a bell for someone here (I had a lot of success finding answers to questions at the old board).

For years I thought the film I was thinking about was Attack of the Mushroom People, but after watching it a couple years ago for the first time since CDF went off the air I realized it wasn't what I was thinking about. In the movie I seem to recall (unless I'm imagining the whole thing) a bunch of people are out on a boat which gets stuck in some big sargasso sea-type thing (an area choked with seaweed that ships get stuck in and can't get out of). There are a bunch of other ships there too (some quite old--I seem to recall a Spanish galleon). The people start to check out their surroundings and end up being chased around by some not-so-nice residents of the area. The only other detail I seem to recall is that the "bad guys" walk around on the surface of the sea between the ships with the help of balloon-like thingies that keep them from sinking in the seaweed (or whatever it is).

As far as my memory serves I watched this movie on CDF (although it could have been on another channel or in another time slot for all I know). Like I said, I always thought it was Attack of the Mushroom People (Matango) until watching that one recently. There ARE some similarities, but I don't know where those balloon-like floatation devices came from--they're certainly not in Attack of the Mushroom People, unless it's my memory playing tricks on me and what I thought were people wearing balloons were actually the badly deformed mushroom people themselves...

Sorry I don't remember any more details. Does this stuff sound familiar to anyone? I'm kind of thinking it could be some weird Hammer movie or something.

Sargasso Sea (which is in the Bermuda Triangle) on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargasso_Sea

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:38 pm

Hey, I guess my memory wasn't as crazy as I thought. I just used the clues above to answer my own question. Looks like the movie in question was The Lost Continent, which IS indeed a Hammer movie, and it WAS shown on CDF. Now I'll have to put it into my Netflix queue.

The Lost Continent:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0063240/

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:48 pm

I don't remember seeing The Lost Continent, but it sounds like an interesting movie!

I'm going to check this one out too :D

Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:25 pm

There's another movie called Lost Continent that was made in 1951 and stars Caesar Romero and Hugh Beaumont.
"Major Joe Nolan heads a rescue mission in the South Pacific to recover a downed atomic rocket. The crew crashlands on a mysterious island, and spends much time rock-climbing. They meet up with a native girl, a big lizard, and some dinosaurs."
The IMDB lists this movie as being riffed on MST3K.

Your movie (The Lost Continent) was made in 1968 and sounds much more interesting:
"This film starts out like the Love Boat on acid, as a cast of unpleasant characters, all with horrible secrets, take a chartered cargo ship to escape their troubles. Unfortunately, the leaky ship is carrying an explosive that can be set off by sea water and it sinks, stranding many characters in a Sargasso Sea populated by man-eating seaweed, giant monster crabs and turtles, and some Spanish conquistadors who think the Inquisition is still on."

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:04 pm

I will probably check out both Lost Continent movies at some point, but of course the one I'm most eager to watch is the 1968 one. It is something I've been wondering about for years (I've seen the title before, but since I always thought I was thinking of Attack of the Mushroom People I didn't even realize that I'd seen The Lost Continent!). And, of course, it WAS shown on CDF--so that's enough reason right there to watch it. :wink:

While the premise does sound interesting, the reviews I've been seeing for both the 1968 AND the 1951 Lost Continent movies have been less than kind. But, I mean how bad can a movie be if it has seedy characters, unstable explosives, man eating seaweed, giant crabs and turtles...AND Spanish conquistadors?!? Gotta check that out!

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:05 am

What a blast from the past! I watched The Lost Continent (1968) a few weeks back and it was a fun movie to see again after so many years. Obviously it's not a "god" movie by any means, but I wouldn't hestiate to recommend it to any true Creature Double Feature fan. Beastball, check it out if you get a chance.

One funny thing about the movie is that it shows how a CDF-watching youth's mind works (and what is most important to that mind). What little bits of the movie that I recalled before watching it all come from the last 15-20 minutes or so. There's got to be about an hour or more of set up for the finale, and I didn't remember ANYTHING from that part. It's actually pretty entertaining (character introductions, various plotlines, the explosive cargo...), but I had no recolection of the seedy passengers and crew on the seedy old ship that was central to the movie. In fact, I was surprised to see that the movie actually had a few monsters in it, as I didn't remember these either! It seems like monsters would have been the first thing I'd recall about a movie I watched on CDF.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:34 am

Well I finally got around to seeing this movie (yeah, only 10 months after we discussed it :roll: ) and I found it quite entertaining! The first time you see someone walk around with those balloons strapped on it's a sillouhetted person, and I couldn't figure what the hell it was until they got closer; it looked so strange! I can see how this movie would stick in your mind from so long ago, Col. Manning, a very unusual film to be sure.

Sat May 24, 2008 7:26 pm

can anyone help me with tis please! this might be a made for T.V movie i'm not sure. all i can remember is a boy who has a friendship with a sea turtle when it's a baby and somehow he's shipwreked or something and gets rescued or something and years latter he returns and turtle is gigantic and at the end of the movie he rides of with the turtle into the sea????anyone????.this one has been bugging me for quite a long time now.not cdf, but a made for T.V movie possibly C.B.S OR N.B.C? any help would be great! :(

Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:39 am

^
I did a quick google search for "boy and giant turtle" and the first thing to pop up was The Bermuda Depths.
Check it out:
http://www.horrorexpress.com/moviereview/the-bermuda-depths

Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:48 am

i believe tis is the movie, beastball.i cant tell you how long i have searched for this movie.this one has been stuck in my head since i was 6 years old,it's like a weight has been lifted. i guess i should try the board on these tough ones more often,only took one day to find it! thanks for the research beastball. :D

Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:10 am

The Internet is your friend! :D

Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:07 pm

I have this movie now on DVD. The only way I could get It was threw this guy on e-bay who Is writing this auto biography on the people who made this film, there names are Rankin and Bass. They are the people who created all those Christmas specials, like roudolf the red nose rain deer, and the new years baby, Santa Clause Is coming to town, you know what I mean, all that claymation stuff from the 60's! Well any way, this guy told me It would be a costumized dvd and cover. but thier were all kinds of color marker on the disk and case, like all kinds of weird scribbles of rudolf and santa clause and stuff. Really weird!!!! Plus all kinds of paper work on the song lyrics to The specials. I can't figure out If It was a nice jesture or something really strange! I mean what If I didnt like the Christmas stuff,what If I were a buddest or something! Anyway just thought I would share that thought! I am real happy to have this movie witch has been stuck In my head for such a long time now. And Im not the only one, I found this web site on the internet that was all about many people who had this movie stuck in their heads for so long,some thing like 2,500 people visited this site and have stated the fact that they could not remember the name of this movie,just that they remember the giant turtle and the girl with the glowing eyes! Crazy ha! :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:09 am

Are you talking about Rick Goldshmidt?
I read his articles on tvparty.com about the Christmas specials and apparently he has acquired some of the puppets used in Rudolph and some other specials.
The articles are pretty interesting.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:08 pm

Re: Mystery CDF Movie (Title Help Request)
In this movie,, at the end. is this where she turns her head to look at someone , her eyes turn yellow/green and then she dives off into the ocean from the end of a boat?

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]