View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 RE-ACQUAINTED WITH AN OLD FRIEND...OF SORTS 

Re: The Enterprise Project
As the ship is already gloss-coated for the decal application, we can go right into laying down a "wash" as this requires a glossy surface to work. A wash is used to create shadowy/ dark areas where one would normally find them (corners, crevices, trenches, etc.) anywhere a shadow is naturally cast. This adds dimension and realism to an otherwise bland surface. A wash is made by taking some of the paint used for the hull color and darkening it up (usually with a small amount of black) and thinning it to the consistency of water. Since my paints are enamel, Mineral Spirits is needed to thin them. A mixing tray and pipette make the process easy:

Next, you quite literally wash the desired areas with a brush-full of the mixture. Put on as many coats as you feel it needs to get the right effect:

At first you might think "Oh my God, what an awful mess!" I just ruined the model after months, or in my case, years (!!!) of work! Yes, it looks awful right now, but it won't stay this way. This is just the first stage of the process.

This next step is what does the trick: You take a Q-Tip, dip it in a bit of the Mineral Spirits, wipe it down on a paper towel to get most of the Spirits off (you want the Q-Tip damp, not soaking wet), and lightly remove the excess wash off the model. DON'T press too hard or use a drenched Q-Tip as this could remove more than the wash! Q-Tips are the easiest to use because they are readily available in your home, but they do make "specialized" Q-Tips for make-up that are just too perfect to pass up:

On one end there is a wide, flat surface, and the other end has a tip that goes to a point--perfect to reach tight hard-to-get areas. They're also wound more tightly than regular Q-Tips so they hold together better. Picked these up at CVS and cost about $3 a package, but I later found a better deal on eBay ($2.59 for 150). I also got a set of these double-sided sponge applicators for when I get to the pastel pigment weathering. I have to admit to feeling a little strange shopping in the makeup isle, but it's for a worthy cause.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:46 pm

Re: RE-ACQUAINTED WITH AN OLD FRIEND...OF SORTS
Absolutely incredible the amount of work and detail you have put into this project.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:30 am

Well CDF Fan, it may seem like a huge amount of work because I spread it out over such a long time, but in reality if I had set aside a few hours a night--every night--I could have had this entire project finished over the course of a few months. I chose to work on it sparingly, when time permitted and most importantly, when I felt like working on it. Also, if it weren't for all those great after-market accurate detail parts available, I wouldn't have attempted this project. They made the parts; I just slapped them into place.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your sentiments!

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:56 am

Re: The Enterprise Project
Okay, once the wash dried I removed the excess with the Q-Tips and this is how it looks so far:

Attachment:
cleaned-wash.png
cleaned-wash.png [ 4.1 MiB | Viewed 1205 times ]

After taking these pictures and seeing the close-ups, I cleaned up around those tight areas a bit more....

Once that is completed, the dry-brushing "hi-light" can be done--but not before the model is covered over with a dull coat. This is done because the dry brushing coat needs something to "grab" onto; you're only applying a very small amount of paint, so little that by repeatedly dragging the brush over the surface, only the high areas of detail capture any paint. The dull coat provides a rough surface for the paint to drag on.

For the dull coat, I used Krylon Color Master Acrylic Crystal Clear:

It's non-yellowing and goes on super smooth, and at under $4 for an 11oz. can it's pretty cheap. Dries in 10 minutes and additional coats can be applied in as little as 1 hour. The key (as it is with all clear flat products) is using it during LOW humidity and making sure it is WELL MIXED. I shook the can for a good 3 minutes straight before applying the first light coat and shook it between sprays. If you don't mix it enough, or use it in high humidity, you'll get an opaque-frosty looking finish. One thing I did before spraying is to cover the Nacelle caps; I want to keep them very glossy!

These are the two colors I use for dry-brushing:

Polyscale Light Gray and ModelMaster Aluminum Metalizer (yes, I know it says "for airbrushes only", but I am using such a small amount and for dry-brushing it works fine). The light gray will be used for all the raised detail where the hull color of Dark Ghost Gray was used. This includes the side detail in the secondary hull, all the raised detail on the Nacelles, and the raised detail around the saucer/ bridge area. The Aluminum will be used on specific areas such as the vent area behind the Nacelle front caps, the mesh detail around the Impulse engine exhaust, the eight rectangular metal meshes on the inboard Nacelle pylons, and the grid along the length of the inner Nacelles sides.

I should probably mention now that it would be a good idea to ware a glove to handle the model, now that the dull coat is on and soon the pastel pigments will be applied. Fingerprints can ruin the finish and especially the pigments before they can be sealed. Ideally the glove should be soft and not too thick.

I picked up some white cotton lint-free Lisle "Inspection" gloves on eBay--six pairs for $6 and considering only one glove is really needed to hold the model and the gloves are not only reversible, but can be used on either hand, that's really 24 gloves to be used before they need cleaning--if ever. Pretty good bargain there.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:31 pm
Site Admin

This thread is 5 1/2 years old

Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:43 pm

I know...it's laughable really.

I've been having a tough time trying to get the pastel pigment shadings right along the top of the saucer. It's a very imprecise / trial and error affair so good thing it easily washes off.

If I keep at it, I may be finished this thing inside of 10 years.

Maybe.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:15 pm

It's been quite a while since posting any update on my project because work has been extremely sporadic. There has been a minor disaster on the upper saucer where I've had to strip the finish off, but I managed to save the decals (I'll post pictures at a later date) and trying to get just the right shading effect with these pastels has been a trial.

This Winter has gotten me down and I just didn't feel like working on anything.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:49 pm

if this winter doesn't crush your spirit, you're not human :(

Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9