View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 RE-ACQUAINTED WITH AN OLD FRIEND...OF SORTS 

Re: The Enterprise Project
QUICK UPDATE:

I have removed both Nacelles and modified the angle of the pylon slots. Here you can see where the original angle of the slot was in green:

I have since re-attached the Nacelles and the new angles line up very well!

This is just about as level as I can get them....

I just need to re-putty, prime and re-spray a coat of paint.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Another Quick Update:
I had the plyons puttied and all set to prime and paint for quite a while, but thanks to the extreme cold the past few weeks, even down in the basement was too cold to airbrush. However, we did have a few days of descent temperatures last week and I took advantage of it. The pylons have been primed and painted; I'm ready to add my final pieces before I gloss coat the whole model in preparation for weathering and decals. With the current deep freeze we're all getting in the Northeast, it could be a while before I can gloss coat.

I still can't get over how different the color looks when taking pictures in natural light and then with a flash. In natural light it looks more grayish and with a flash it looks more greenish.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:36 pm

Well, we're in the homestretch now!
I have just added the final pieces before all the weathering and decal application: The photo-etched grills along the inner side of the pylons. For this I used plain old Elmer's white glue to attach.

NOTE: There actually are more pieces to be attached to the model (notably the LED lenses, those little clips on the Nacelle caps, and of course the Main Deflector dish--but it's wiser they be attached after everything else is completed).

I also painted the Impulse engine exhausts white so the decals will show up brighter:

From here on out, I'm just waiting for the right temperature to gloss coat the whole ship. No need to rush and potentially spoil the paint job.

In the meantime, let me show you what I was up to regarding the base:
As you recall, a few years ago (!!) I completed the wood base for the model, but was undecided on what type of finish (if any) to apply. To refresh your memory, here's what the base looked like:

Well, early last fall I decided to stain and polyurethane it. I chose a deep Walnut color to nicely contrast the lighter color of the ship. Here's what I used:

I did the work out in the garage last September.

It took more than a couple of coats to get the desired color, and I steel-wooled the finish between coats of polyurethane.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:04 pm

So....while I'm waiting for warmer temperatures to gloss coat the ship, I was looking at the base and thinking how much a dedication plaque would enhance its appearance. Searching my spares box, I noticed I had some pieces of a type of pressed board--not quite wood, but much sturdier than cardboard. I will cover the sides with sheet plastic and decorate the edges with some half round stripping.

Board and sheet plastic

I cut a piece roughly 2" x 3" and is 3/16" thick. Here is a close-up of the board and stripping:

Cut strips for the sides:

...with the sides done, I added the stripping:

I mitered the corners to make a smooth and attractive edging. Puttied the seams after that:

All I need to do now is to create the dedication artwork and decide what color to paint the plaque.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Just a quick post to show the model on its stand. I cut the acrylic rod down from 18 inches to about 9.

What's great about this setup is the socket I made for the rod inside the ship is deep & a little wide. Plus, the rod is thick--and this allows me to pose the ship at all different angles! I can make it level or tilt back like here. I can create all sorts of dynamic poses. I like the way this rod looks so much, I may use a thinner rod to hang the dedication plaque on at an angle, rather than to just have it lie flat.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:50 am

Re: RE-ACQUAINTED WITH AN OLD FRIEND...OF SORTS
stunning!

great work sir!

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:17 pm
Site Admin

Watching you build this has been like watching paint dry....but in a good way. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks guys...

I'll be the first to admit I could have had this done a long time ago, but I'm really enjoying this build. In a way, I'll be sad when it's done.

Once the temps improve I can lay down the gloss coat and finish the ship. I'm very pleased with the way it looks so far, but wait until all the decals, final pieces and weathering is completed!

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:40 am

I bought a thinner acrylic rod to mount the plaque onto; it's 3/16 inches thick. Here you can see it next to the main support rod.

I ground down one end at a 40° angle for the plaque to rest on.

On the back of the plaque I found the exact center and hollowed out a shallow niche for the rod to go.

Next, I laid a piece of paper over the base, stuck the main rod back in for a reference point, and traced around the plaque where I wanted it to stand.

From here, I again found the exact center of the plaque on the paper and marked its position for drilling. Then I drilled a hole.

I cut the rod down to 4 inches--I think its going to look great once the plaque is done! The artwork is almost finished....

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:21 pm

I finished the dedication plaque artwork and I am extremely pleased with how it came out!

Here is some background information on this design:
First, I put the Enterprise Arrowhead at the top. During the original series, this arrowhead design was exclusively used for the crew of the Enterprise. Each starship in the fleet had their own emblem:

It wasn't until the first movie Star Trek: The Motion Picture that the Enterprise Arrowhead was used for all of Starfleet. From that movie on including the subsequent TV shows, the Arrowhead design represented Starfleet and indeed Star Trek itself.

Font Style: The lettering style I used is the same font used for the original series title:

I called the ship "Starship Class" and not "Constitution Class". The original classification of this ship design was in fact Starship Class. It wasn't until 1975 when the Franz Joseph blueprints came out that he called the Enterprise "Constitution Class". Once these blueprints were published, Constitution Class became popular and was adopted as the Enterprise's classification from then on. I prefer to use Starship Class as it was known during the original series run.

I have these; notice the "Constitution Class"

His blueprint of this starship is in fact the U.S.S. Constitution (NCC-1700). The Enterprise (NCC-1701) is the second ship built of this line (with 12 total in the fleet during the original series).

San Francisco Fleet Yards, Earth:
Enterprise's unit components were built in San Francisco at the Starfleet Yards and the ship was assembled in an orbiting spacedock--NOT on the ground as in the JJVerse!

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:38 am

you've put some serious thought into this. nice to see such dedication. cool.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:21 pm

I know I've said it before, but WOW! It's amazing how much work and time you're dedicating to this project Beastball. Not only would I not even realize all these little inaccuracies of the model if I were building it, but I know I'd go insane and end up smashing the whole thing to bits if I DID make an attempt to make even a few of the corrections and modifications you've been making. This is going to be one beautiful piece when finished. Is there a modeling website and/or forum where you'll be able to properly show this beauty off when finished--and get proper credit for all the precise and meticulous work you've put into all the fine details and everything? Keep up the great work!

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks guys, yeah I've been dedicated because I seem to have aquired the patience of Job along the way. I started this thread way back in May of 2009, but I really didn't officially start building the model until I created the sub-thread called "The Enterprise Project" within this thread in May 2011. In those 2 years I gathered resource materials and some after-market pieces. This comimg May it will have been three (3!) full years ago since I began! Really that's quite laughable the amount of time it's taken me, but going in I was determined to make the kit as accurate as I could, but I also wanted to enjoy the process and worked on it when I felt like it. Whole months could go by before I updated the thread and for anyone following this thread I'm sure that could be annoying (hi Bob!). For that I do apologize. Yeah, I admit there were times I became frustrated and down right angry with things not going right (like not having the correct color paint, trouble connecting the saucer to the dorsal neck, dropping a Nacelle and ruining a month's worth of work, etc.), but I found the patience to continue and overall I have enjoyed this build.

Col. Manning, there are a couple of modeling forums I do visit (hobbytalk.com and starshipmodeler.com) but I found most of what is posted on Hobby Talk also gets posted by the same people on Starship Modeler, so I usually just go to Hobby Talk. I joined those back in 2009, but in all that time I've only posted about 80 times. I go there on weekends and so much gets posted I spend most of my time there reading and learning (and being amazed). There are so many talented people there and seeing what they do dwarfs what I am doing. I could post my kit there once it's fininshed, but hardly anyone knows me there and my kit would probably be on the dull side. I'm really not looking for accolades or credit for my efforts, I just want to share with my friends here something I enjoy doing and thought it would be neat to keep a visual journal of the proccess.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:05 am

it is cool

you shouldn't think its laughable how long its taking you. think about the fact that you are keeping at it.

sometimes projects take a long time.

it took a friend of mine 10 years to make his movie.

keep at it!

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:28 am

I printed out two plaques at 1350 DPI on 4 x 6 inch photographic paper. I then coated the paper with some of that "Krylon Preserve It!" to protect from fading, like I did with the decals.

One will be kept as a backup--just in case

Now that I have the plaques printed out, I can match the color I want for the frame. The color I found that closely matches the tan lettering is Tamiya Desert Yellow (XF-59):

I painted the frame with a brush and I also used some dark brown along the inside edge, because test-fitting the plaque I found it leaves a sliver of the underneath exposed. The dark brown will hide this and blend it together.

After this dried, I brushed on some Future gloss because the Tamiya paints are flat. I was able to brush on the gloss because the area is so narrow--I would never attempt to use a brush to gloss the ship. Once this dried I glued the plaque photo to the frame using Elmer's white glue. I clamped the edges down to ensure a good bond, but I covered the photo with a rubber glove for protection from the clamps first--as a precaution.

Here is the result:

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next