View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Star Trek into Darkness (2013) 

Re: Star Trek into Darkness (2013)
Whether this ends up looking good or bad I have to admit that I love hearing that they're going to do something like this to introduce the film. I remember when the first teaser trailers for the first Abrams Trek movie came out and how exciting it all seemed. To think about going to see such a long-awaited movie like "The Hobbit", and then being treated to a nine minute preview of the new Trek flick (instead of the usual teaser trailer) before it sounds like an awesome day at the movies!

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:06 pm

BREAKING: Official Synopsis For Star Trek Into Darkness Revealed

http://trekmovie.com/2012/11/26/breaking-official-synopsis-for-star-trek-into-darkness-revealed/

SPOILER ALERT!

Today the 2013 Star Trek: Into Darkness movie took another big step forward. Paramount Pictures issued the official approved synopsis for the film, which reveals some details about the plot. Read the synopsis below (minor spoilers).

Quote:
Trek Sequel Official Synopsis

Here is the official synopsis for Star Trek Into Darkness...

In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness.

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

If the rumors pan out and Khan is the villain, I'm not sure how he fits in. I really don't see him as "a one man weapon of mass destruction". At this point, I really don't care... all I want is an interesting and engaging story that doesn't insult my intelligence....hopefully JJ will dial back the lense flares a bit this time...

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:42 pm

I agree. At this point I don't really care what the plot is (or who the bad guy actually is), but just want it to be good. The first movie had enough respect for the "old" Trek that both fans and non-fans seemed to be more-or-less okay with it. I personally hope that Abrams continues that trend--but who knows? The thing Im most concerned about right now is the possibility that they're going to go too dark with the material. "The Dark Knight" has really affected a lot of franchises over the past few years. From Batman to Spiderman to Superman they seem to feel that every franchise needs to be re-booted--and that re-boot needs to be extra-dark. I'm sure a dark Trek could indeed make for a good and entertaining movie, but I just don't want my Trek to be that dark. Maybe that's just me, but that's how I feel. It's scary to think that they even had to add "Darkness" to the title! ...And, yeah, a few less lens flares wouldn't be a bad thing!

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:09 pm

No, it's not just you, Col. I fully agree with that assessment regarding "Dark Trek". The fundemental idea behind the original series was optimism--that our race will survive and flourish among the stars. Don't forget how turbulent the 60's were: Leaders were being assassinated at an alarming rate, the war in Vietnam was being escalated, the country narrowly missed nuclear war only a few years before, the whole counter-culture was gaining strength; there was talk of revolution. The positive ideas of Star Trek was exactly what this country needed (and still does). Having Trek become dark and gritty like other movies is not what I want.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:30 pm

i agree!

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Excellent points Beastball. I hadn't thought of the basis of Trek in the first place. I sort of just felt that I had an affinity for the original crew and series and wanted to see more stuff like that, but it does go a lot deeper than that. It is what Gene Rodenberry wanted the show to be like when he created it in the first place. It's one thing for someone to "put their own stamp" onto the new franchise, but can you really change what the concept was all about...and still be able to call it Star Trek? Oh well, we'll just have to see how this all unfolds...

On a lighter note, if J.J. does indeed insist on following the latest dark craze I suppose we can just wait for another five or ten years until someone decides that Trek is "long overdue" for ANOTHER re-boot. Perhaps that person will decide to bring Trek back to what it was originally.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:17 pm

NEW POSTER!

http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/03/star-trek-into-darkness-poster-revealed/

Quote:
Star Trek Into Darkness Teaser Poster
The poster, which shows off the darker side of Trek that we may be seeing more of in the new movie, features the Star Trek delta logo outlined in the wreckage of a building, with a crumbling London skyline in the background. In the midst of it all, a dark figure in a black trench coat stands atop a pile of wreckage. It looks like Earth is in for quite a ride in the new movie. But, who is that featured in the center of the poster? A villain? Khan? Mitchell? Or, do I spot some pointed ears?

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:34 pm

gee doesn't look much like a batman poster does it?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:42 am

Saw this yesterday and couldn't believe how unoriginal it was. I mean, it's a dramatic and striking image, but so reminiscent of Batman that I'm surprised Christopher Nolan isn't complaining about it. Guess that answers any doubts we may have had about how "Dark" this movie is going to go. "Darkness" right in the title, and now a Batman poster clone. Okay J.J., we get it.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:34 pm

Wait...what? You guys were expecting originality? From Hollywood? HOHOHO!

Kidding aside, what they're calling an "announcement trailer" has just been released. It's just a standard teaser trailer...

http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/05/watch-first-trailer-for-star-trek-into-darkness/

Is that the Enterprise going underwater?? Whoa!

There's a Japanese version that has a few extra scenes at the end:

A little bit reminiscent of Spock's death scene at the ending of "Wrath of Khan".

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:28 am

Thanks for posting Beastball. I just saw the regular trailer and thought it looked okay, if a bit like "Star Trek vs. Bane". But that Japanese one does indeed raise a lot of interesting questions. I'm now starting to wonder if Abrams is purposely doing an "alternate universe" version of the entire Star Trek movie catalog. While unoriginal, I do have to admit that I like the fact that this movie appears to be a re-visiting of "TWOK". If only because it adds some familiarity to an old Trek fan. It always seems like Abrams is threatening to take the whole making-it-his-own thing too far and changing everything that was Trek, and then there's something familiar to keep long-time fans happy (or at least quiet). Still, it's also unfortunate that this could mean that this movie not only uses the Khan character (not a terrible idea in itself if done right), but goes as far as becoming a "re-boot" of STII:TWOK. Which would bring us right back to the whole unoriginality thing...

Now, two things that stand out in the trailer:
1. What is that ship rising up out of the water halfway though the trailer? It apears to have Federation markers on it (NCC...).
2. Is Abrams planning on jumping ahead to Star Trek III with the destruction of the Enterprise? If that's not the Enterprise crashing into the water at the end of the trailer it is certainly at least a ship of the same class. Maybe J.J. is combining TWOK and The Search for Spock into a single reboot. Hmm. Well, I suppose that's the purpose of an early trailer like this: get the questions and buzz stirred up.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:43 am

Oh yeah, I'm also wondering about the lens flare thing too. There doesn't seem to be a ton of it in the footage itself, but notice how prominent it is in the title screens. I wonder if J.J.'s making a little joke about the overuse of it in the first film. ...Whether that means it's toned down in this one or not.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:50 am

Longer Star Trek Into Darkness Teaser Shown At BNAT Today – Get The Details

http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/08/longer-into-darkness-teaser-shown-at-bnat-today-get-the-details/

As reported first by TrekMovie, a longer trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness will be showing next weekend. However, that trailer previewed today at the "Butt-Numb-A-Thon" 24 hour movie event in Austin, Texas. The first descriptions of that are now showing up. See below (but beware of spoilers).

2nd Darkness Trailer Trailer: Cumby in the Brig + Chekov in Red

The second trailer (which Paramount is calling a "teaser trailer") was previewed this weekend at the Butt-Numb-A-Thon in Austin, Texas. The first description of the trailer was posted via a series of tweets by Devin Faraci of BadAssDigest.com.

Quote:
Full STAR TREK trailer indicates hands against glass scene is actually Spock and Cumberbatch. If he’s Sybock… Well, kudos.

That said, Cumberbatch does NOT have Vulcan ears. Hands against glass scene seems to be Cumby in the brig.

Trailer opens with Pike VO, telling Kirk he has courage but no humility, and someday that will get him and his crew killed.

Oh yeah: there’s space stuff in the full TREK trailer. Space combat. Guy in a space suit zooming around.

In addition friend (and sometimes contributor to) TrekMovie Jordan Hoffman confirmed a few more details via Twitter DM:

* Cumberbatch was definitely shown in some sort of brig

* Chekov appears in a red tunic (instead of his regular gold tunic)

* Someone wears a EVA space suit with similar design to the one used in Star Trek: The Motion Picture

And while it isn’t a description, Slashfilm’s Peter Sciretta’ gives this quick review of the trailer via Twiter…

Quote:
Peter Sciretta [email protected]
Full length Star Trek Into Darkness trailer was even better than the teaser released last week.

If more details appear online, they will be updated with the article.

See it for yourself next weekend

As first reported by TrekMovie, this trailer will be shown (Domestically) at non-IMAX screenings of The Hobbit this weekend. Paramount has also announced it will be avaialble online via Apple trailers on Monday December 17th.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:50 pm

A Preview of the Star Trek Into Darkness IMAX (9 Minute) Prologue

*WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD*

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=97913

December 9, 2012

Tonight, Paramount Pictures and Bad Robot screened for press the nine-minute IMAX prologue to J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Trek Into Darkness. ComingSoon.net was on hand to take a first look at the footage and will be heading to Bad Robot tomorrow for more information. In the meantime, Abrams himself has requested that we keep specific details of the footage to a minimum.

Most intriguing about what was showcased, said to represent the first nine minutes of the film, is that it asks far more questions than it answers. By the time it's done, we still don't know the identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's mystery villain and we're left with the reveal that much of what we've already seen in the trailer is actually part of a separate adventure that joins the Enterprise crew in media res.

The footage opens with Noel Clarke and Kayla Hassan's characters living what appears to be a very ordinary life in the 23rd century. They wake up, make breakfast and drive to a hospital where a little girl, presumably their daughter, is unconscious in bed. The entire scene plays without dialogue, but with a surprisingly powerful Michael Giacchino score, somewhat reminiscent of the tear-inducing opening of Up.

Clearly troubled that he can't do anything to help her, Clarke is standing outside when he's approached by Cumberbatch, who tells him that he can help. Clarke asks who he is and we just get a mischievous Cumberbatch smile.

The rest of the footage finds the Enterprise in the middle of a mission to the same red-colored planet that we see in the trailer. Kirk and McCoy have been visiting the locals undercover and are now making a hasty escape. Hidden at the bottom of the planet's ocean, the Enterprise monitors the mission and, from a shuttle, Spock, Uhura and Sulu make their way inside a volcano. Spock has to head into the volcano to prevent it from erupting and, as lava waves build, it looks like he may not be getting out alive.

Abrams made the point in his introduction that fans have already assumed from the title and the first trailer that the sequel will be overly dark and he's hoping that this footage is going to counter that reaction. What's genuinely great about what happens onscreen is that we're seeing a fun "Star Trek" adventure that gives every single crew member a quick starring moment. We also get enough humor (particularly from Simon Pegg) that manages to make light of exactly the kind of fan over-analysis that the film is sure to generate (i.e. Can the Enterprise even operate underwater?)

The film, set for release on May 17, 2013, also stars Chris Pine, John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Alice Eve and Peter Weller. You can find a full list of theaters showing the IMAX preview by clicking here and check back tomorrow for more details from Bad Robot.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:32 am

Very interesting. You have to hand it to Abrams, he knows how to keep you guessing. I'm sure we'll have a very good idea of what to expect from this movie by the time it finally gets released in May, but don't know how long it will take for that to happen. Until then it should be a fun and interesting ride. I always think about how much fun it used to be eagerly awaiting movies as a kid. Especially before the internet it was a lot harder to get credible information (you pretty much had to go by what you could find in magazines like "Starlog" and on shows like Entertainment Tonight (back when ET was actually a good show that focused on all things entertainment rather than 99% celebrity worship). It generally doesn't seem like that eager anticipation happens as much these days. Part of it in my case I'm sure is simply because I've grown up and see the world a little different. Part of it is also because it's so hard to be surprised in this age of instant information. Thanks to J.J. Abrams I kind of get that old feeling from Star Trek. I also see it in the saga of "The Hobbot" as well as many of the recent superhero flicks (especially all the ones that were part of the build up to "The Avengers").

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next