View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:00 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Star Trek into Darkness (2013) 

Re: Star Trek into Darkness (2013)
Couple of new stills and a pull-out cast poster from Empire magazine:

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:32 pm

New animated poster and some Hi-res shots:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Click on these to enlarge:

There are 8 more here:
http://trekmovie.com/2013/04/06/check-recent-star-trek-into-darkness-stills-now-in-hi-res/

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:01 am

the animated poster is cool

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:05 am

I don't have any interest in seeing the Enterprise destroyed again (even if they CAN say that this is the first time in this particular universe), but that certainly is a stunning image. Not that it would ever happen, but could you imagine if they introduced a new Enterprise in the next movie (a la the end of "ST:IV") and if the new one had the "right" nacelles?

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Yeah, it's not just the exterior stuff they messed up, but the whole interior too:
1. The bridge is too bright with lights coming from every angle and it looks too cluttered. They replaced the main view screen with a window (WTF?)
2. Main Engineering looks like something out of the 19th century with waterpipes and large storage tanks. Where the heck is the warp core?
3. The hangar deck is gargantuan with multi-level shuttle storage bays. It makes the size of this Enterprise even bigger than the Galaxy class Enterprise-D (about 2200 feet), which I have read that's what they were aiming for. Look at this comparison:

The size is ridiculous. This Enterprise should be the same size as the first movie refit.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:46 pm

The latest (and coolest) trailer:

Really, you need to go to youtube and view this full screen and HD....my God, look at the size of the ship the Enterprise has to battle! No wonder it ends up the way it does.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:12 pm

First clip from the movie released.

This is a clip from the 9 minute exclusive preview shown before the movie "The Hobbit".

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:22 pm

Second clip:

Sat May 04, 2013 2:03 pm

IMAX poster

Sat May 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Sadly, after reading the reviews from fellow Trek fans who have seen STID, I probably won't go and see it for myself...

...because I have already seen it originally back in 1982 with Wrath of Khan
...and again in 2002 with Nemesis
...and a third time in 2009 with the reboot.

It seems this time they not only use plot elements from WoK, they ripped entire scenes and dialogue from it too. It's just rehashed recycled warmed over trope we've seen over
and over again. I'm so sick of the lack of originality these writers have.

A real shame too, because I read the actors were stellar in their performances again.

Sat May 18, 2013 9:32 am

Wow, this is very sad news. It's amazing to think that (as always) all the waiting, wondering, speculating, theorizing and more waiting are over and the movie is actually out. It seems very sad to think that after all your intrepid reporting on this movie over the past couple of years Beastball that you're not even going to see it. I'm almost shocked to hear that it's such a rip off of Wrath of Khan after all. I know that's all we were hearing a year or so ago, but it seemed to cool off recently. I was actually thinking Abrams and company had pulled the wool over our eyes, making us think that it was a reboot of Wrath of Khan when it was actually something else altogether. Guess he pulled the wool over MY eyes though. Very unfortunate--if not completely surprising in this day of reboots and unoriginal movie programming. I'll still go to see it I'm sure, but will wait until the crowds die down a bit.

Has anyone from the board actually seen the movie? What did YOU think?

Sun May 19, 2013 9:26 pm

haven't seen it yet. not sure if i'll make it to the theater to see it or not.

Mon May 20, 2013 4:43 am

Well, I'll probably see it...eventually. But I will not pay top ticket price; I'll wait until it shows up at the cheaper cinema or watch the bootleg now over at veetle.com.
As you know, I've had misgivings about this movie right from the start-- in the opening post of this thread. I followed the progress of filming, but maintained a definite "meh" attitude throughout.
I'm sure there are some very exciting and good parts in the first half of the film, but as soon as the "big reveal" happens, the consensus is the movie falls apart rather quickly almost to the point of parody. I've also read the pacing of the film is set at such a breakneck speed and the editing cuts are so quick, that you have hardly any time to appreciate whats happening on screen before the scene changes. I can probably live with that especially on repeated viewings to catch things missed the first time viewing, but what I can't live with is the rehashing and recycled plot. The dressing may be a little different, but it's the same friggin revenge filled villian with a big black ship for the third time in a row now.

For the love of everything that's holy, why the heck can't these writers come up with something--anything original? They purposely created an alternate universe to "free" them of all that came earlier. There's a whole brand new universe out there for them to create in and all we get is more of the same. We only get a new movie once every few years (if that). They had FOUR (4) years to come up with something and all we get is the fourth version of "Wrath of Khan".

It's nauseating.

Mon May 20, 2013 8:54 am

I went to see it yesterday and thought it was just ok but being a big fan of the original series cast anything that doesn't star them pales in comparison.
Cumberbach is definitely no Montelban.

JJ Abrams brings back the trademark lens flare and why on earth was there shaky cam during a space ship chase scene?

My opinion is wait a bit for the crowds to die down a bit or for DVD, it's a decent scifi movie but a weak Trek.

Mon May 20, 2013 7:07 pm

Sounds like a good take on it. It's just too bad that Abrams seems to be more interested in making a "modern" sci-fi action movie than a Star Trek movie (despite using the Star Trek name and characters). And I was wondering if the lens flare might have been toned down a bit for this one. There's no way he wasn't aware of all the jokes, comments and complaints about it. Oh well, I guess he who lives by the lens flare and shaky cam dies with the lens flare and shaky cam, huh? It's a shame because this is something that should have been such a destination movie for sci-fi--and especially Star Trek--fans. I'd rather not wait to see it on DVD, just so I can have an opportunity to see it on the big screen, but now I'm thinking that if I DON'T manage to get to see it in the theater I won't be missing all that much.

Mixed with the lukewarm-at-best things I've been hearing about Iron Man 3 ad it makes for a very disappointing early summer movie season. It seemed like they were starting to get things right to some extent. The first two Iron Man flicks were good, the first Star Trek was pretty exciting at first glance and look how much everyone loved The Avengers. Why can't the people behind these movies keep the good stuff up and minimize the bad stuff. Has Hollywood learned nothing in the past century? I guess what they say about history repeating itself is true even in the movies.

Mon May 20, 2013 9:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next