View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Star Trek into Darkness (2013) 

Star Trek into Darkness (2013)
Before I begin, I should point out that like most of these movie threads, there will be spoilers here as well. So if you like to be totally surpised at the movie's premiere, you should probably avoid this thread.
End disclaimer.

Now, where was I? Oh yeah, Star Trek II: The Rebooted Sequel...otherwise known as Star Trek II: The Rehash of Khan. Okay, it wasn't fair to call it that since it's not definite the Khan will be in it, or that it will be a retelling of Space Seed/Wrath of Khan, except for two things...

1. There are numerous articles over at trekmovie.com about the auditions of certain actors of Latin descent and there is strong indications that Khan will appear in the movie.

2. If it is Khan, then what's the point of the first movie establishing the "alternate reality"? I mean, the whole point of having the alternate reality was to free the writers of all that came before in Star Trek canon and lets them write all new adventures. Having previously established characters is just rehashing.

Or maybe I missed the point.

Maybe in this alternate reality the characters are the same, just what happens to them is different. Maybe in this alternate reality, it's not Kirk who finds the Botany Bay, or maybe they become allies to fight a greater evil...who knows.

Having said all that, I still cannot hide my disappointment if it truly is about Khan. For me, his story has already been told, and told well. I have my doubts whether this writing team could do better since I had problems with their first story (and JJ's direction, and set design, and the JJprise...etc.).

One thing I hope they do is avoid these three overused plots or a combination of them:
1. Earth is Threatened
2. Time Travel
3. Villain Bent on Revenge

Let's look at all the Star Trek movies that use these plots:
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (No.1)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (No. 3)
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Nos. 1 and 2)
Star Trek: First Contact (Nos. 1 and 2)
Star Trek: Nemesis (No. 3)
Star Trek '09 (Nos. 2 and 3)

In fact if you think about it, Star Trek '09 was a retelling of Khan: Here we have a guy, driven mad with revenge for losing his home and wife, and blaming a Star Fleet officer serving on the Enterprise for it. Sound familiar?

For the next movie, I'm really hoping for something different, but I'm afraid we'll only get more of the same.

Last edited by Beastball on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:59 am

Re: Star Trek II: The Rebooted Sequel (2013)
JJ Abrams Gives Star Trek Sequel Update – To Be Shot in 2-D & Converted

http://trekmovie.com/2011/12/20/jj-abrams-gives-star-trek-sequel-update-to-be-shot-in-2-d-converted/

Quote:
We’re shooting on film, 2-D, and then we’ll do a good high-end conversion like the ‘Harry Potter’ movie and all that. Luckily, with our release date now we have the months needed to do it right because if you rush it, it never looks good…. "We were talking about [shooting in IMAX] and I would love to do it. IMAX is my favorite format; I’m a huge fan," he added.

Well, I'm on the fence about this. Last Summer, I had concerns that the up-converted 3D Green Lantern would be all dark and muddy, but it wasn't at all. Still, I have heard stories from movie-goers that 2D converted-to-3D movies can be too dark.
It would be cool to see Star Trek in 3D, though technically, it would be my second time since I have the View Master reels for the episode "Omega Glory" :)

In other unrelated news, no original Star Trek actors will appear in the sequel:
http://trekmovie.com/2011/12/20/report-no-original-star-trek-actors-in-sequel/
Quote:
The next “Star Trek” installment, directed by J.J. Abrams, will have no members of the original cast. No Shatner, no Nimoy. No classic recipe Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty, Uhura, Chekhov or Sulu. The last “Star Trek” film featured Leonard Nimoy as Spock. But sources close to the next film, many of whom worked with Abrams on the new “Mission Impossible,” confirmed for me last night that none of the originals has been invited back this time. “MI4″‘s Simon Pegg, who now plays Scotty (original Scotty, James Doohan, is in space heaven now with original Bones, DeForrest Kelly), quipped, “That would involve time travel. And if the real Scotty showed up, that would be something.”

This isn't surprising to me at all, and I think it's proper. It was nice to see Nimoy play Spock one last time, but now is the time to move ahead.

However...

Orci: Bruce Greenwood Written Into Star Trek Seqeul Script

http://trekmovie.com/2011/12/20/orci-bruce-greenwood-written-into-star-trek-seqeul-script/

Quote:
boborci: Spoiler alert!

We wrote a part for Greenwood. Let us hope he says “Yes!”

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Confirmed Guest Cast for Star Trek Sequel (so far)
Confirmed Guest Cast for Star Trek Sequel (so far)
From trekmovie.com
http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/06/24-actress-nanzeen-contractor-joins-star-trek-sequel-cast/

The main cast is returning for the Star Trek sequel, but there are also a number of new roles and at least one returning guest star for the sequel. Here is what we know so far.

Benedict Cumberbatch
Unknown main villain

Peter Weller
Unknown – rumored "CEO" possibly tied to villain

Alice Eve
Unknown – rumored new role to canon

Noel Clarke
"Family man with wife and daughter"

Nazneen Contractor
Wife of "Family Man" (Noel Clarke)

Bruce Greenwood
Adm. Chris Pike (returning star)

[expected - confirmed to be written into script]

I know some of these actors from previous roles like Peter Weller (Buckaroo Banzai, Robocop), Noel Clarke ("Mickey" from Dr. Who), and of course Greenwood was Pike in the first movie. I am not familair with the others.

Until we get confirmation from Abrams, we can only speculate what the characters these actors will play, which is fun to guess about. Khan was strongly speculated to be appearing and one poster over at trekmovie had this to say:
Quote:
38. Craig - January 7, 2012
I’m not a frequent poster but read this website and the comments quite often. It seems to me that they have casted Kahn’s parents here. The “CEO” could be the role of the genetic engineering company responsible for Kahn and other DNA engineered humans.
I’m sure Mr. Bob Orci would not confirm, but it makes sense to go along with the story telling of the previous film. These writers are excellent in character development and delving into story lines by showing the back story. One thing we never saw or heard about were Kahn’s family.

This is a total theory based merely on the casting. If true, it definitely takes a totally different spin and makes us possibly care more about Kahn and how he came from a caring family and something went wrong.

Thanks for this website and thank you Mr. Orci for spending time with fans here. Even though all do no comment, a lot like me enjoy your wit and banter with everyone!

This is a very interesting theory since Noel Clarke and Nazneen Contractor are playing a married couple and are the nationality of what you could expect Khan's parents to be. We will see...

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:35 pm

"Thor" Actor Joseph Gatt Joins Star Trek Sequel

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/09/thor-actor-joseph-gatt-joins-star-trek-sequel/

original article

Thor actor Gatt joins Star Trek sequel

First reported by our friends at ScreenRant, TrekMovie has confirmed that British actor Joseph Gatt has been tapped for an unspecified role in the Star Trek sequel. A spokesperson for the actor tells TrekMovie that Gatt will begin shooting some tests this week.

The 37 year-old actor and former model has a career going back to the late 90s. Most recently he has been seen playing a CIA agent on Chuck and playing Grundroth the frost giant in Marvel’s Thor movie. Gatt also has a lot of experience doing voice and motion capture work for video games, including recent titles "Gods of War 3" and "Star Wars: The Old Republic"

Here is Gatt as a Frost Giant in the movie "Thor"

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:00 pm

Star Trek Sequel Begins Shooting + Exclusive Production Details [UPDATE: Engineering Gets An Upgrade]

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/12/star-trek-sequel-begins-shooting-exclusive-production-update/

Star Trek sequel begins production
It has been quite a wait, but today director JJ Abrams has once again called "action!" on a Star Trek movie. Abrams’ last Star Trek film wrapped in March 2008. Like that shoot, the sequel is expected to last for four months, or until May of this year. This new Star Trek film is due in theaters May 17, 2013, giving the team plenty of time for post-production. And as TrekMovie reported previously, some of the effects work for the film has already started at ILM, notably space shots that don’t need any live-action elements.

One change for this production is that shooting will be done on stages atSony Studios in Culver City in addition to shooting on the Paramount lot in Hollywood. While this is the first time a Star Trek production has used stages on a non-Paramount lot, these days it is not an uncommon practice for studios to use each other’s lots. One factor for using Sony Studios could be due to space on the Paramount lot. For example, Paramount Stages 8 & 9, which have been used for many Trek productions (including the Enterprise sets for Star Trek 2009), are now being used for the permanent sets for NCIS: Los Angeles. This is also not Sony’s first connection to the new Trek team, as Michael Giacchino recorded the score for the 2009 Star Trek film at Sony.

Sources tell TrekMovie that the new Star Trek film has called for more sets than the previous movie. These sets will include sections of the USS Enterprise, not seen in the 2009’s Star Trek. Also following up on our November pre-production report, it appears that Hawaii will not be used for location shooting of "alien jungle" scenes. While JJ Abrams did travel to the state for scouting, a location in southern California was chosen instead.

Orci hints at engineering upgrade
One of the more talked about elements of the 2009 Star Trek movie was the look of the engineering section of the ship, which were shot at a Budweiser plant. Today Star Trek sequel co-writer/producer Roberto Orci jumped into the comment (below), confirming the start of shooting and offering this tantalizing tidbit.

Quote:
boborci

I’ll tell you this. There are some cool improvements to engine room!

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:06 pm

I just wanted to add this bit of information from the Internet Movie Database:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/

Untitled Star Trek Sequel (2013)

Credited Cast

Benedict Cumberbatch.............................Khan

So it looks like the rumor of Khan as the villain is true.

EDIT:

So now over at IMDB they changed it to:

Benedict Cumberbatch............................(rumored)

I don't know what is going on. I guess I'll just wait until JJ himself confirms all this. *sheesh*

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:02 pm

(Finally!) First unofficial pictures taken from the sequel:

Quote:
The following photos come from On Location News (via MTV). They were shot on location in Los Angeles. The first photos feature Zachary Quinto as Spock apparently giving Benedict Cumberbatch (who play’s the film’s villain) a Vulcan nerve pinch. The location report notes that the fight continues after the attempt to give the pinch. The two are fighting on top of what is described as a "space barge set." If you look closely you can see that Cumberpatch’s shirt has a starfleet logo on it.

Quote:
The second photo features Zoe Saldana and Cumberbatch (on the same location) where she is facing down Cumberbatch with a phaser, so apparently she gets that action scene she was hoping for.

More of Zoe:

I am sure there will be more to follow!

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:47 pm

Spock's "Volcano Suit"

http://trekmovie.com/2012/04/16/spock-sighted-in-new-leaked-star-trek-sequel-set-photo/

Quote:
After first rehearsing the scene with a Spok [sic] Stunt Double Actor Zachary Quinto was then rigged to a wire in front of a large green screen and lifted to a height of 10 stories high then dropped at a high rate of speed as if he was falling. In the scene Spok [sic] is wearing a “Volcano Suit” and carrying an unknown piece of equipment with the Starfleet Emblem. A Volcano is somehow involved in this scene. The crew had a real fire burning off camera to catch the fire reflections on Spok’s [sic] “Volcano Suit”

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Major MAJOR Star Trek Sequel Spoilers!

from trekmovie.com:
http://trekmovie.com/2012/04/30/major-star-trek-sequel-spoilers-confirmed/

Quote:

There have been a lot of rumors and spoilers floating around the web in the last few months, including some new ones today. So TrekMovie has checked with sources and can confirm some of these reports as well as adding some new info into the mix. See below for 3 spoilers about the Star Trek sequel but do not click below if you don’t want to spoil the fun (seriously don’t…just for Spoiler-fans).

Star Trek Sequel SPOILERS

Before we start it is important to note that it is still the case that no plot or character information for the Star Trek sequel has been officially confirmed by Paramount or anyone associated with the movie. The following based on reports from other outlets and/or TrekMovie sources. As always, Paramount’s policy is to not comment on what they consider rumors.

you have been warned

Spoiler 1: Leonard Nimoy returns as Spock Prime

The first spoiler was actually let out of the bag by the actor himself when talking to CNN last week (see video), and now AICN is reporting that Nimoy returning for the sequel. TrekMovie sources have confirmed that Nimoy indeed is back as Spock Prime and he has already completed his work for the film. Spock Prime was last seen at the end of the 2009 movie sending off the new crew of the USS Enterprise, leaving him to help the Vulcans who survived Nero’s destruction of their home planet.

This spoiler comes as somewhat of a surprise, as Nimoy himself had previously indicated that he was happy to let the new cast take the reigns of the franchise forward. But apparently JJ Abrams and crew were able to convince the actor and Star Trek legend to come out of retirement one last time to play Spock. On a historic note, this would be Nimoy’s eighth appearance in a Star Trek feature film, which will be a record (he and Shatner are now tied with seven movies each).

Want more?

keep scrolling

Spoiler 2: Cumberbatch is playing Khan

TrekMovie was first in reporting that Benedict Cumberbatch had joined the Star Trek sequel cast, to play a villain (originally a role offered to Benecio del Toro). A few outlets have also reported (including today’s AICN) that this villain was Trek’s most famous bad guy – the exiled Eugenics War leader Khan Noonien Singh (originally played by Ricardo Montalban). TrekMovie has also confirmed this with a number of sources so we no longer consider it to be a rumor. Khan is back in 2013, however sources indicate that the film is not a rehash of "Space Seed," the original Star Trek episode where Kirk and crew first encounter the genetic superman from the past.

While big news, this is actually not a huge surprise. Trek’s new filmmakers have often cited the Christopher Nolan’s Batman series as their model, with the second film The Dark Knight successfully brining back the Joker and Khan is the closest to Trek gets to Batman’s Joker. And again the team kind of already let the cat out of the bag on this one when they recorded the DVD commentary back in 2009 and said they had considered a post-credits sceene showing the Botany Bay, Khan’s sleeper ship. Then of course there is Abrams widely reported casting process which began with Benecio del Toro and went through a number other prominent Latino (like Montalban) actors before he ended up picking Cumberbatch, after what has been said to be a very powerful audition.

Want more?

keep scrolling

Spoiler 3: Klingons featured in Star Trek sequel

This third spoiler is not something from the new AICN report, but multiple TrekMovie sources have confirmed that the Klingons will be featured in the Star Trek sequel. Of course Klingons were were originally going to be part of the 2009 movie as well – in a subplot where they had captured Nero and his crew after the destruction of the USS Kelvin, however those scenes were cut from the final release (but did appear on the DVD/Blu-ray). TrekMovie sources indicate that this time the Klingons are not a sub-plot that could be easily cut out of the film, so we will finally see the JJ-verse version of Klingons on the big screen.

This spoiler seems to be a no brainer. The Klingons are likely Star Trek’s best known adversary aliens, and they appeared in most of the movies featuring the original cast. The intent was to put them in the last one and fans have been asking for Klingons to make the cut for the sequel.

Sequel production enters final stretch

TrekMovie has also confirmed that the Star Trek sequel has wrapped up shooting on stages and on location in southern califormia. The film remains on schedule with a couple more weeks of shooting on on location in northern California.

That’s it for now, stay tuned to TrekMovie for all your Star Trek sequel news.

Well, alot of this has been rumored for some time especially with Khan being the villain, but Leonard Nimoy again appearing as Spock was a complete surprise!
I won't hide my disappointment with Khan; I really wanted something totally new......

Tue May 01, 2012 11:59 am

New Behind Scenes Star Trek Sequel Photos Reveal Starfleet Uniform Variant

http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/01/new-behind-scenes-star-trek-sequel-photos-reveal-new-starfleet-uniform-varient/

Some new behind the scenes shots from the Star Trek sequel have bubbled up on the Internet. This time the photos are personal shots of a child actress working on the film along with various cast members. However, she took pictures with herself and cast members in costume, including a new Starfleet uniform not seen in the 2009 movie.

Azhar with Pegg (L) and Yelchin (R) with their new Starfleet uniforms

There are more pictures, but this one really struck me especially those hats. Too fascist/communist looking for my taste. They look more at home in Starship Troopers than Star Trek.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:36 am
Site Admin

Beastball wrote:
New Behind Scenes Star Trek Sequel Photos Reveal Starfleet Uniform Variant

http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/01/new-behind-scenes-star-trek-sequel-photos-reveal-new-starfleet-uniform-varient/

Some new behind the scenes shots from the Star Trek sequel have bubbled up on the Internet. This time the photos are personal shots of a child actress working on the film along with various cast members. However, she took pictures with herself and cast members in costume, including a new Starfleet uniform not seen in the 2009 movie.

Azhar with Pegg (L) and Yelchin (R) with their new Starfleet uniforms

There are more pictures, but this one really struck me especially those hats. Too fascist/communist looking for my taste. They look more at home in Starship Troopers than Star Trek.

They look like old Soviet Union uniforms

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:31 pm

Hmmm, intriguing. That appears to be a dramatic re-thinking of the Starfleet unis. There's something I kind of like about them though. I remember when ST:TMP first came out I absolutely hated the new look of the uniforms. Gradually though I've acquired a greater appreciation of them. In comparison to the ones used in the rest of the classic cast films (which I like a LOT by the way), the ones from the first film actually do have a closer look to the original series. And they also have a certain nautical quality that seems to make sense on a "fleet" of "ships" that have USS before the names. All of that has nothing to do with these uniforms of course, except to say that I'm open to a change if it's for the good. But it seems strange to go in this kind of a direction after the way they made a point of making the uniforms in the first movie very similar to the look of the original series. My feeling on these very militaristic uniforms is that maybe they're some kind of a dress uniform that will be seen in a diplomatic or ceremonial setting. It's especially curious when you look at the "standard" blue and red uniforms sported by Spock and Uhura in the on-set photos seen above. Will be interesting to see...

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:55 pm

ok i'm sorry but i have to do it: khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

there i feel better now. :D

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:51 am

Re: Star Trek into Darkness (2013)
The movie finally has a title!

"Star Trek into Darkness"

http://trekmovie.com/2012/09/07/exclusive-star-trek-sequel-title-confirmed/

Although this isn't 100% officially confirmed, I have renamed the title of this thread to reflect it.

Can't say I like or dislike the name right now, as I feel "meh" about this movie as a whole (because of all the Khan rumors).

Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Star Trek into Darkness (2013)
9-Minute Star Trek Into Darkness Preview To Debut in IMAX 3D with Hobbit Movie

http://trekmovie.com/2012/11/14/breaking-9-minute-preview-of-star-trek-into-darkness-to-debut-in-imax-3d-on-december-14/

Quote:
Extended Preview Of Star Trek Into Darkness Showing With Hobbit
Paramount has confirmed with TrekMovie that an extended preview of JJ Abrams 2013 feature Star Trek Into Darkness will be shown exclusively with IMAX 3D showings of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which premieres on December 14th. This preview is similar to how the first 7 minutes of Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises was shown ahead of IMAX screenings of Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol (which was produced by JJ Abrams, small world). Just like with that preview, you will have to go to the theaters to catch this first glimpse of the movie as TrekMovie has also confirmed the preview will not be shown online.

This'll be popping up on the Internet no matter how much Paramount says it won't. I'll eat my hat if it doesn't.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next