View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:08 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Star Wars ep 7 and beyond 

Re: Star Wars ep 7 and beyond
that would rock

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:12 am

Here's a couple of news items regarding the writing of Episodes VII - IX:

New 'Star Wars' Movie Has Treatment by 'Toy Story 3' Writer
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/new-star-wars-movie-has-387784

Sources confirm Michael Arndt has written a 40- to 50-page extended outline for the new movie and will likely write a draft of the script.
Quote:
Months before Lucasfilm was sold to Disney and plans for new Star Wars movies were announced, Toy Story 3 writer Michael Arndt was hired to write a 40- to-50-page treatment for Episode VII, sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter. Arndt, the Oscar-winning writer of Little Miss Sunshine, has completed a treatment for the new movie and is likely to pen a draft of screenplay. The treatment also will be used by Disney/Lucasfilm to court directors for the highly-anticipated project.

The move, first reported by Vulture, makes sense because Arndt has a relationship with Disney-owned Pixar and brings gravitas via his Academy Award win. He's also no stranger to sprucing up franchises. The Verve-repped Arndt was nominated for a screenplay Oscar for his work on Toy Story 3, helping make the Pixar movie the most emotional of the three. And he co-wrote the screenplay for the upcoming The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

Disney revealed that three new Star Wars movies were in the works when it announced its acquisition of Lucasfilm last week. Disney CEO Bob Iger even referenced a "lengthy treatment" the studio had for the first film, but he did not reveal the writer that had penned the extended outline. Who would write and direct the movies became the talk du jour as agents jockeyed to land their clients the gig.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Lucasfilm has been working on the project already. George Lucas has been talking about the final trilogy in the Skywalker saga since 1980s The Empire Strikes Back. And the recent hire of veteran producer Kathleen Kennedy to serve as president of the company was a sign that it was gearing up for new movies.

Disney plans to have the new Star Wars movie in theaters in 2015.

Sources: Lawrence Kasdan, Simon Kinberg Lock Deals to Write and Produce 'Star Wars' Installments

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-lawrence-kasdan-simon-393459

The pair will write either Episode VIII or Episode IX — their exact division of responsibilities is yet to be determined — and they will also come aboard to produce the films.

Quote:
Even under the secrecy of a Jedi mind trick, certain secrets — like the plans for a Death Star — can still spill out. Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg have closed deals to write installments of the new Star Wars trilogy, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. The pair will write either Episode VIII or Episode IX -- their exact division of responsibilities is yet to be determined -- and also will come aboard to produce the films. As THR previously reported, Oscar winner Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine) is writing the script for Episode VII, the first of the new trilogy and the first Star Wars film to be made without the hands-on input of creator George Lucas.

Kasdan and Kinberg would join Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy as producers.

Word of Kasdan and Kinsberg's involvement began spilling out Tuesday, but Disney and Lucasfilm are declining to comment. Official announcements regarding the new Star Wars will appear on StarWars.com, according to the studio.

Kasdan is a Lucasfilm and Star Wars vet. He co-wrote 1980’s The Empire Strikes Back, still considered the movie series’ zenith, as well as 1983’s Return of the Jedi. He also wrote the screenplay for Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Kinberg is co-writing the new X-Men movie, X-Men: Days of Future Past and was a producer on X-Men: First Class. He also is producing Cinderella for Disney.

Kasdan is repped by CAA and attorney Robert Marshall at Greenberg Glusker; Kinberg is repped by CAA and attorney Karl Austen at Jackoway Tyerman.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:57 pm

I don't know if this should be considered good news or bad, but....

CONFIRMED: J.J. Abrams to direct next ‘Star Wars’ for Disney

http://trekmovie.com/2013/01/24/the-force-is-with-jj-j-j-abrams-to-direct-next-star-wars-for-disney/

Quote:
Variety and other Hollywood news sources are reporting today that J.J. Abrams is directing the next Star Wars after all. There aren’t any details other than the fact Disney is close to closing the deal with Abrams. So treat this with a degree of skepticism until we see something official from Disney and/or Bad Robot directly.

UPDATE 01/26/2013: Confirmed by Disney and J.J. Abrams

After a bevy of emails and phone calls, the formalities have been wrapped up, and at long last everyone can exhale and properly share the word with an excited Internet. Yes, J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII, the first of a new series of Star Wars films to come from Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy. Abrams will be directing and Academy Award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay.

”It’s very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie,” said Kennedy. “J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture.”

George Lucas went on to say “I’ve consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. He’s an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn’t be in better hands.”

“To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor,” J.J. Abrams said. “I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid.”

The LA Times has a new article up called “J.J. Abrams directing ‘Star Wars’: What happens to ‘Star Trek’?”

According to Paramount Vice Chairman Rob Moore, Abrams — who directed both 2009′s “Star Trek” and the upcoming sequel “Star Trek Into Darkness” — will still be involved in some capacity with a possible third “Trek” movie, at the minimum as a producer, if not also directing the film.

Moore also pointed out that Abrams will continue to play a role in another of the studio’s most valuable franchises, “Mission: Impossible.”

“J.J. will continue to develop projects for us including a new ‘Mission: Impossible,’ and he is committed to produce another ‘Star Trek,’” Moore said Friday afternoon.

–More from the LA Times

While it’s no secret J.J. was first and foremost a Star Wars fan before getting involved with Star Trek (2009) this goes against what TrekMovie had previously reported in December. Abrams told Empire Magazine that he passed on the other big ”Star” franchise out of respect for his work with the Star Trek franchise:

“There were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn’t even want to be involved in the next version of those things. I declined any involvement very early on. I’d rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them.”

As always, keep checking TrekMovie for further developments.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:04 pm
Site Admin

JJ Abrams...great now the lightsabers will have lens flares

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:57 am

could it be worse than having lucas direct more of them?

i doubt it.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:10 am

Daimajinbob wrote:
JJ Abrams...great now the lightsabers will have lens flares

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:16 am

Despite JJ being a fan I really wasn't excited about the news. I haven't been that impressed with the work I've seen by him despite all the hype. But as astroal pointed out, SW can't get any worse than the prequels...or can it?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:37 pm

STIR-WHIP, STIR-WHIP, WHIP, WHIP, STIR!

You know, as hideously awful the Holiday Special was, I've always gotten a kick out of Harvey Korman--even as Chef Gormaanda :P

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:49 pm

harvey korman is great

the star wars holiday special....not so much.....

i remember after the first time it aired wondering why they didn't show it again.
now i know.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Beastball wrote:
I don't know if this should be considered good news or bad, but....

I was thinking the same thing. It's definitely big news...but is it good or bad news? Who knows. It's a very interesting time for Star Wars fans. We're kind of seeing history develop before our very eyes. All I know is that J.J. must be feeling pretty proud of himself (hopefully not FULL of himself) now that-in addition to everything else he's don/doing--he's going to be helming the two biggest sci-fi franchises in the world! I suppose the lens flares are a given (unless he catches on to all the jokes by the time the new Star Wars film comes around), but all I can say is please, PLEASE J.J., no "re-imaginings" or changing the Star Wars canon!

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:05 am

Happy Star Wars Day everybody!

Sun May 04, 2014 2:48 pm

cool!

so glad the original 3 are in it at least a little

Sun May 04, 2014 5:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2