View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 SUPERMAN REBOOT, IRON-MAN II, & AAAHNOLD 

SUPERMAN REBOOT, IRON-MAN II, & AAAHNOLD
From trekmovie.com:
http://trekmovie.com/2008/08/24/sci-fi-sunday-superman-reboot-arnie-cameo-stargate-does-voyager-the-return-of-the-hoff-much-more/

Superman Reboot Confirmed
Looks like Mark Millar wasn’t too far off after all. After Variety reported early last week that there was some discussion going on behind-the-scenes at Warner Bros. about the direction of "Superman: Man of Steel", Jeff Robinov has now confirmed to the Wall Street Journal that the studio will be rebooting the Superman franchise and that the direction of the film, as well as the studio’s other upcoming superhero movies will take on a darker more brooding tone similar to that of "The Dark Knight":

Quote:
Warner Bros. also put on hold plans for another movie starring multiple superheroes — known as “Batman vs. Superman” — after the $215 million “Superman Returns,” which had disappointing box-office returns, didn’t please executives. “‘Superman’ didn’t quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to,” says Mr. Robinov. “It didn’t position the character the way he needed to be positioned.” “Had ‘Superman’ worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009,” he adds. “But now the plan is just to reintroduce Superman without regard to a Batman and Superman movie at all.”

There is no word if Bryan Singer or any of the other cast and crew of "Superman Returns" will be a part of the new Superman reboot. Robinov added that the plans are for DC Comics to supply material for up to four films he hopes Warner Bros. will have by 2011.:

Quote:
The studio is set to announce its plans for future DC movies in the next month. For now, though, it is focused on releasing four comic-book films in the next three years, including a third Batman film, a new film reintroducing Superman, and two movies focusing on other DC Comics characters. Movies featuring Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow, and Wonder Woman are all in active development.

The article further notes that Warner Bros. is quietly adopting Marvel’s model for releasing a single film for each character and then using those movies and their sequels to build up a multi-character film (such as "Justice League").

**************************************************************************************************************************************************
MEH, I don't know about a darker, brooding Superman. That worked fine for Batman because he is a dark, brooding character. Superman is not. Superman is supposed to be the epitome of good and noble and right...unless they mean the villains will be darker and brooding.
It'll be interesting to see what they come up with for Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow, and Wonder Woman. I would think Green Lantern would be ideal for a CGI laden movie. And even though I liked the GL comics, I can't help think the character a bit on the lame side. I mean, anything he does is through the ring...anyone who wears the ring can do everything he does!

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

Jon Favreau Begins Work on Iron Man 2
Jon Favreau, director of the year’s second highest-grossing film "Iron Man", told the Los Angeles Times that he has already begun work its sequel, "Iron Man 2", which he will return to direct:

Quote:
I just talked to Jon Favreau a bit ago, and he said that while there hasn’t been an formal announcement on the sequel to “Iron Man,” he’s begun developing it. “We’re working on it now,” he said, “which hasn’t been officially announced. It will be released in 2010.”

Arnold Terminator Cameo Update + More Hints from McG
There’s been some buzz lately about a possible cameo from California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Terminator Salvation" and the latest comes from producer Moritz Borman who hinted to Wired that Arnold will not be in the film "as a person", suggesting a voice-only cameo. Although when pressed, he left the door open for a larger presence:

Quote:
"I’m not going to answer the question about what we’re trying, or what we want, or what we’re toying with," said Borman. "It’s really up to what fits in the film or not. Maybe his voice, or maybe not. It’s really not settled.

In other ‘T4′ news, director McG told MTV that one of the projects that the film would try to emulate was the book "The Road": “I gave all the actors ‘The Road’ to read to get their heads right bout this sort of existential detachment that living in a post apocalyptic world would bring,” McG revealed. “We’re in a very large post apocalyptic environment. The bombs have gone off and there’s very little left. People are wandering through lonely landscapes. We want to capture that by way of David Lean photographic expanses, so you think you’re looking at ‘Lawrence of Arabia.’ So far, so good.” And in a separate interview with MTV, McG says that the title "Terminator Salvation" holds a key to deciphering the plot, teasing: "Even though we may sin, ultimately we deserve a second chance,” adding "Sometimes life is worth living when you make sacrifices so others may benefit.”

Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:16 pm

Re: SUPERMAN REBOOT, IRON-MAN II, & AAAHNOLD
The studio wants a "dark, brooding" Superman because THE DARK KNIGHT was dark and brooding and made a ton of money. If THE DARK KNIGHT was happy-go-lucky and broke out into song regularly, we'd be looking at a musical Superman.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:52 am

Yeah, you're right, Mark. I just think that kind of personality does not fit Superman. And according to the article, they want all their DC superhero movies to have the dark brooding feeling. This could seriously backfire on them.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:09 pm

Interesting news Beastball. Thanks for posting it. I agree that it's a ludicrous (yet very predictible) idea that Superman will be a better movie simply by making him "darker" (and echoing Batman's recent success). I thought "Superman Returns" was okay. It didn't really do anything spectacular for me, and was actaully a lot more in line with the last series than I was expecting (guess I was expecting more of a "reboot" on that one). I would be okay with another reboot of the series if it makes it better. Unfortunately, i don't think simply mimicing Batman will do that. In general the last couple of "reboots" (the new hip movie term apparently) seem to have been successful: Batman and Hulk.

And I kind of feel bad that the "Batman vs. Superman" project (hinted at in "I Am Legend") has been shelved simply because of the money numbers earned by "Superman Returns". Same with Justice League.

I'm definitely crossing my fingers that "Terminator Salvation" will be a good movie (with or without Arnold's voice).

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:57 pm

I thought the two Richard Donner directed Superman movies were the most true-to-character and enjoyable. Saw the third one on TV and didn't like it at all...didn't even bother with the fourth one. I watched Superman Returns on DVD only and thought it was so-so, too.
Instead of messing with the Superman character to make him more like Batman, wouldn't it make more sense to bring in a villain in the same vein as the Heath Ledger Joker? He was an intriguing character and stole that movie, IMO. Anyways, isn't it the villain that makes or breaks superhero movies? Perhaps this is what they mean by wanting a darker more somber movie (fingers crossed).

Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:35 pm

they should leave superman as he is but bring in darkseid as the villian. the whole problem with the last movie is it really didn't give us much of anything that was different than donner's superman except a go no where sub plot about his son.

Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:18 am
Site Admin

astroal wrote:
they should leave superman as he is but bring in darkseid as the villian. the whole problem with the last movie is it really didn't give us much of anything that was different than donner's superman except a go no where sub plot about his son.

The thing I hated most about Superman Returns is that they kept making references to the Donner film as if it was a continuation of that film

Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:31 pm

Man, enough with the "reboots" already!
There's going to be a Hellraiser, Friday the 13th, My Bloody Valentine and the list just keeps growing.

I don't agree with a Superman remake even though I hated the last one. The guy they got to play Superman may have looked like Christopher Reeve and played the role of Clark well but as Superman he was horrible. They should have named that movie Lois Lane because Superman hardly did anything in it and when he did he looked and acted like a mannequin!

Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:48 am

Quote:
The studio wants a "dark, brooding" Superman because THE DARK KNIGHT was dark and brooding and made a ton of money. If THE DARK KNIGHT was happy-go-lucky and broke out into song regularly, we'd be looking at a musical Superman.

there was a musical version of superman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUr7-6tuETI

Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:41 pm

I still wonder how "Superman Returns" could have been so awful while "Batman Begins" was so good. The only worthwhile part of "Superman Returns" was the jetliner rescue. That scene was great. But it was about 10 minutes of footage amid a 2 1/2 hour movie. I couldn't wait for it to end.

Nobody wants a broody Superman. Everyone wants a silver-age Superman that you don't have to worry about taking your kids to see. Why does everything have to be "dark?" What's next, a suicidal Shazam?

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:00 pm
Site Admin

Gamera wrote:
I still wonder how "Superman Returns" could have been so awful while "Batman Begins" was so good. The only worthwhile part of "Superman Returns" was the jetliner rescue. That scene was great. But it was about 10 minutes of footage amid a 2 1/2 hour movie. I couldn't wait for it to end.

Nobody wants a broody Superman. Everyone wants a silver-age Superman that you don't have to worry about taking your kids to see. Why does everything have to be "dark?" What's next, a suicidal Shazam?

Strange you should mention Captain Marvel (Shazam) Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson has already been signed to play Black Adam (predecessor to Billy Batson who used the power of Shazam for evil) and Patrick Warburton (Google him you know him, he's done stuff) tentatively rumored to play Captain Marvel.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Patrick Warburton was great as the Tick

so wonder if they're going the comedy route with shazam

Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:32 am

I loved the live-action Tick and taped all nine(?) episodes that aired.
I thought it captured the flavor of the cartoon very well.

There was one bit where the Tick had to add and he used Chismbop! (remember that from the '70's?)
Another time when he ate a fortune cookie and pulled out the fortune, declaring "A secret message...from my teeth!"... Got a chuckle from that

Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:24 pm

dave

the dvd set has an episode that never aired. it's one of the best too.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:31 am

Really? How cool is that?! I should've picked up the set just for the better quality alone.
Now it's a no-brainer for a bonus episode! Thanks, dude!

Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next