View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:12 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 THIS TV in Boston 

Re: THIS TV in Boston
CDF Fan wrote:
I got a chance to watch ME TV when I was in Pittsburgh last weekend and it was great. Hopefully we'll get that soon as well.

I haven't been watching much of RTV lately because most of the good programs have been replaced with more current type shows. Not much "Retro" in RTV any more. I just watch Chiller Drive-In and Off-Beat Cinema pretty much only.

I just happen to turn the channel on right now and it's not RTV anymore but METV! And Hogan's Heroes is on!! I quickly looked up the programming guide and I can't believe all the great shows on today:

Wild Wild West
Hogan's Heroes
Batman
Lost in Space
Star Trek (original remastered)
Svengoolie (The Incredible Shrinking Man)
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Get Smart
Car 54 Where Are You?

Check out this schedule (in PDF form):
http://metvnetwork.com/metv_national.pdf

I can't believe my good luck in having all these cool shows to watch on TV!

Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:33 pm

Col. Manning wrote:
I know there's not much lead time, but I just saw what today's nostalgia Saturday double feature is going to be. Check out this absolutely AWESOME couple of flicks straight out of 1970s/80s Boston TV:

1:00: "Abbott & Costello Meet The Mummy"
3:00: "The Incredible Shrinking Man"

It don't get much better than that!!!

Well, I got to watch BOTH of the double feature movies today (with a few interruptions)! What a great rainy Saturday afternoon of nostalgic TV viewing! In fact, I had already decided to do another of those 31 movies in 31 days challenges for October again this year, and now--thanks to THIS--I've already gotten two movies out of the way without even having to fire up the DVD player! I have both "A&C Meet The Mummy" and "The Incredible Shrinking Man" on DVD, but like has been mentioned around here often, it just seems so much more "special" to have moves like that actually on TV at a specific time (not unlike how it was back in the old CDF days)!

As far as ME TV, we apparently have it too. We had RTV through channel 62.1 and then a while back we started getting channel 10.2, which was also RTV. Since 10.2 only came in once in a while I never even bothered to check it (since we have a pretty reliable source of RTV through 62.1). Last week I was going through the channels and noticed that channel 10.2's programming didn't match what RTV was showing on 62.1. Well, it turned out that it was because 10.2 had switched to ME TV! The good news is that I have it now...the bad news is that it still doesn't come in too good.

I've also been disappointed in how RTV changed their schedule. It DOES make sense to shake it up and put different shows on once in a while (especially since there's probably more good shows than there are time slots for), but to go from the great stuff they used to have (Knight Rider, The A-Team, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Battlestar Galactica...) to the stuff they have switched to is just disappointing...

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:34 pm

Yeah, 10.2 is what I have down here in Pawtucket. I've noticed that RTV's library of shows were all from Universal, and (so far) MeTV's shows are all Paramount / 20th Century Fox. The only exception I've seen is Svengoolie; he said all his movies are from Universal.
By the way, this is the first time I've seen Svengoolie and I really enjoyed his show. Next week is "The Mole People"

Col. Manning, what type of antenna are you using? When I first hooked up my converter, I was having a devil of a time trying to pull in most of the Boston stations. All I had was an old UHF ring antenna, so I wanted to improve that. I went online to look up some of the more fancier antennas and I always read the user reviews. Quite a lot of people stated that their old "rabbit ears" performed as good or better that the fancier new one they replaced it with.
So, before sinking $80+ into a top end antenna, I purchased a pair of $12 rabbit ears (with UHF ring) from Radio Shack. In a word: impressive.
I can pull in every New England station with a few adjustments to the antenna (which means turning it right or left)

This is the one I bought:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103077#

Of course, depending on your location (hills, trees, etc.) it may factor in on how well it works, but for only $12 it may be worth a try.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:35 am

Verizon isn't going to provide access to ME TV. That being the case I ordered a digital antenna today. I need an amplified one due to the number of trees around my house, which deflect the signal 8 months of the year due to those damned leaves. I sold my RCA antenna last year before we moved thinking I would never need it again -- stupid.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:01 pm

It's funny when I think back at how apprehensive I was with this whole analog-to-digital switchover. I was actually glad when it was pushed back from 2007 to 2009. I had no idea how much stronger the signal would be--let alone how many more stations I'd be getting.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:05 pm

Beastball wrote:
It's funny when I think back at how apprehensive I was with this whole analog-to-digital switchover. I was actually glad when it was pushed back from 2007 to 2009. I had no idea how much stronger the signal would be--let alone how many more stations I'd be getting.

I'm hopeful that the substations of the local channels will someday be used for more original programming like Ch. 5 was famous for.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:04 pm

A few things...

I was also glad about the delay in the switchover from analog to digital. It seemed funny how it really wasn't a big deal for those with cable or satellite, but it seemed like the end of the world for those stuck in the past, still getting TV over the airwaves (like me). We DID buy a new 32" Panasonic flat screen TV before the switchover so we could watch without having to use a converter. We bought it during Massachusetts' tax-free weekend a few years back. I was very relieved to find that we still got pretty much all the stations we used to get (plus a few more, like THIS TV and RTV). The channels we got a good signal from looked extremely good (pretty much up to par with cable). I did go out and buy a digital antenna, thinking it would boost the signal, but it didn't do a thing. Then I realized that many of the "digital" antennas being sold were actually just plain old antennas. Since they picked up the signals over the air (the same as the analog signal) they could repackage and redesign the antennas a bit and call them "Digital". We actually have a gigantic antenna up in our attic that pulls in a much better signal than those little digital antennas they sell at Wal*Mart etc... Unfortunately we live far enough from Boston and Providence that some of the channels (like 10.2) don't always come in. Of course in the old days, when you got a weak signal you could still watch the channel with a certain amount of snow. Now, a weak signal means you basically get the channel or you don't.

I'm also hopeful about the substations. The day I discovered that WLVI 56 has a second channel (56.2) I was very exited to think about the possibilities if they made it a movie channel like THIS TV. When I first saw it, it was only a test pattern with no programming. Unfortunately, when it did go online it was a county music channel. Oh well... THIS TV seems to be the closest thing I've found so far to old-school Boston area TV. Nothing will ever be able to really recreate that feeling, but I think THIS comes pretty close at times. I also like the fact that many of these stations (THIS, RTV) feature a lot of cheesy informercials. It seems strange to find them so entertaining, but they remind me of all the old ads for Ronco, K-Tel, Ginsu and all those types. I like the fact that they're short too--only a minute or two. They're not those long-form "Paid Programming" informercials that replaced much of the real programming on channels like 56 and 38.

Finally, speaking of THIS, yesterday they had another great retro matinee double feature. Though they don't always feature monster movies, when they do it's the closest thing to a return to CDF that I've ever seen. Even when they don't have monster or horror movies, the ones they do have are usually just the type that would be featured on WLVI 4:00 movies. Yesterday they had "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" at 1:00 and "Island of Lost Souls" at 3:00. I only got to see "Creature", but it's a great experience to see these kinds of movies on TV. I have the Universal Creature collection on DVD so I can watch it any time I want, but it's just all that much more special to see it on TV, complete with commercials. We weren't even getting a great signal--which means it would have been a lot better quality to simply throw in the DVD, but I still watched it on THIS--poor quality and all!

After those two movies, THIS had 1977's "The Island of Dr. Moreau" at 4:00--so you could see two versions of the same story! Then at 6:00 they had "Time Limit" (1957), a Korean War movie that I've never seen, but which seems like something that WLVI would have put on as an 8:00 movie. great stuff with a definite feel of old-school Boston TV!

Last edited by Col. Manning on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:08 am

The schedule for This TV for the weekends leading up to the 31st has some good choices. Also, on the 31st they're airing Svengoolie along with 12 hours of classic horror.

My digital antenna is on back order so no ME TV just yet.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:46 am

So does this mean that BOTH THIS TV and MeTV are now featuring Svengoolie? I hope to catch some of those, as I haven't seen Svengoolie since his shows were featured on Creature Feature for a short time in the early 80s. Actually, is Svengoolie the same as Son of Svengoolie (who was on Creature Feature), or are they completely different shows?

All of a sudden MeTV is coming in very good at my house (as I mentioned earlier, the station it's on usually doesn't come in very good here. At this moment I'm watching a season one episode of "Lost in Space". at 9:00 Star Trek (original series) will be on, followed by "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" on Svengoolie at 10:00, "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and a couple episodes of "Get Smart" starting at 1:00 AM! Looks like I might be watching some MeTV tonight!!!

Finally, I didn't see any of it, but THIS had a great afternoon of programming today. Instead of the usual retro double feature they had a TRIPLE feature of "The Invisible Man", "The Invisible Man Returns" and "The Invisible Man's Revenge"!

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:34 pm

I did read that MeTV and RTV are owned by the same company so I would assume to reach a broader audience they'd show Svengoolie on both channels, although it could also just be a Halloween event. On Satuday nights RTV is airing repeats of Wolfman Mac and on Sunday it is Off Beat Cinema, which I also think are also repeats. I haven't been watching much of either lately.

The Son of Svengoolie in the 80's and the current Svengoolie are played by the same person.

Also, did you know that NetFlix is now airing the animated series of Star Trek from 1973?

Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:04 pm

I was flipping channels and RTV has a show called The Comedy Shop which aired in 1978. Norm Crosby was the host and he just had Conrad Bain as his special guest. Lots of ethnic humor without the PC police. Plenty of bad comics with 70s material.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:46 pm

WOW.

Man, I wish I got this channel...I'm always excited to see anyone running short-lived shows of the past, as most stations tend to run series that went at least a few seasons.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:11 pm

The Comedy Shop is like watching the early HBO specials with "up and coming" comedians who were never heard from again. The other episode had Rip Taylor and the older audience was laughing hysterically. I was hoping for Foster Brooks to make an appearance, which might happen since the shows are on each Sat night. There isn't much info on IMDB so I have no idea how many episodes there are.

I recently came across the full set of Brady Bunch Variety Hour shows with alternate endings included. The original Jan refused to appear and that was perhaps the best thing she ever did.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:18 am

This is my first exposure to Svengoolie and I'm really enjoying him. The movies he shows are real classics too. He had "Dr. Cyclops" a few weeks ago and it knocked my socks off; never saw it before. For a movie made in 1939, the special effects were amazing--not to mention the super sharp technicolor print.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:36 pm

It's been a while since we've heard from THIS TV around here, but I just saw that they are having a couple great Abbott & Costello movies this afternoon on their retro Saturday double feature thing. At 1:00 is "Abbott and Costello go to Mars", and then at 3:00 they have "In the Navy". I remember watching these flicks on Saturday evenings on Channel 27 out of Worcester after an afternoon of CDF watching. Great memories!

If that wasn't enough, THIS has "SSSSSSS" (1973) on at 5:00 after A&C. I've never seen that one, but it looks right up a CDF fan's alley. Not a bad day of programming for a cold, wet and snowy (!) Saturday afternoon in New England.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next