View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:53 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Thoughts On The Original Battlestar Galactica 

Thoughts On The Original Battlestar Galactica
I hate to admit this, but I haven't yet seen a single episode of the new Battlestar Galactica. That's something that not having cable can do to you. I have only heard good (or great) things about it. A good friend (also without cable) recently got totally sucked into the BSG world via Netflix. I should probably do the same.

Anyway, one thing that sort of makes me feel bad is that everyone these days seems to believe that the original Battlastar Galactica show sucked. I remember watching it as a kid (and am pretty sure I even saw the theatrical re-edited version when it was released). While I was pretty young when the show was first on, I watched it in syndication for years afterward. I even vaguely remember the "Galactica 1980" show too.

The point is that I remeber really liking this show. Yes it was a big rip-off of "Star Wars" (but there were no shortages of those rip-offs in the late 70s) and may have been a bit cheesy at times, but does this mean that it was a "bad" show? I don't know how a TV show produced in the 70s is supposed to be able to compare to a finely produced show made today--or if it is even fair to do so. It seems like a lot of people who love the new show tend to deride the original. It almost seems like some people feel the original is a cheap rip-off of the NEW show! Sometimes it sems like people are even pissed that they actually dared to make Starbuck a man in the original story (as though they were messing with an already revered character or something). I don't have any problems with anyone liking the new show better than the old one, but just don't understand why they have to put down the original at the same time. They are two different shows after all--and there wouldn't be a new version if not for the "vastly inferior" original, right?

Sorry to seem so negative. I know that I haven't even seen the new one, so I can't really compare the two. But if watching the new one is going to make me hate the original, maybe I'm better off not seeing it at all. After all, I still have fond memories of the original--even if it wasn't a "perfect" show.

Any fans of the new show who still have a place in their hearts for the original? Can anyone shed more light on this phenomenon? Perhaps people have always disliked the original (especially people who aren't fans of sci-fi but who ARE fans of the new show because of its political nature and plain old great story telling...), but the topic just never came up until the new show came out and it gave people a chance to say "oh yeah, I remember that really crappy show from the 70s--hated it!". I just don't know.

Please realize that this post is in no way a put down of the new BSG. Like I've said a couple of times, I haven't even seen it yet. There's no need to defend the show against me. From all I've heard, as soon as I do get a chance to see it I'm going to love it. I just never realized that people had such low regard for the original.

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:15 pm
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts On The Original Battlestar Galactica
Well despite the warm feeling I have for the original, you can see the cheesiness of it. I actually just received Galactica 1980 from Netflix, What a God awful show that was, The only good episode was the final one, 'The Return of Starbuck'

Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:19 pm

Well, I'm not going to argue about Galactica 1980 (I mean the show actually had Cousin Oliver from The Brady Bunch for cripe's sake!). But did the cheesiness of the original show really bother you that much when it was on? It is probably mostly nostalgia, but the last time I saw the original I still liked it. Cheesiness was never really a reason for me not to like a show or a movie. If it was I probably wouldn't have liked the majority of the movies on CDF. I guess that now that there is a high-quality version of the Battlestar the cheesiness of the original must stand out when the two are compared side by side or something.

Last edited by Col. Manning on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:28 pm
Site Admin

It WAS state of the art back then. I just hated the fact they looped the battle scenes in every episode so you always saw the same fights. FYI Cousin Oliver-Robbie Rist-was only in the first two episodes of Galactica 1980, he was quickly replaced (the kid couldn't hold a job I guess)

Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:37 pm

Alright, now that's a good point. I sort-of noticed the repetitious shots as a kid, but they didn't really bother me as far as I recall. As an adult though, they're quite annoying (even if it was done due to budget restrictions or whatever). I guess my positive feelings for the show are mainly nostalgic. I wonder what I'd think of it if I were to see it for the first time today...

Now, while this may be a bit off-topic, Robbie Rist (while never being able to get much of a real TV show career going) can be found on MySpace. Apparently he's really into music these days and plays in bands rather than acting.

http://www.myspace.com/robbierist

If you happen to check it out, watch the video his buddy Fletch made. It's called "Cousin Oliver's Revenge". Kind of interesting...

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:09 pm
Site Admin

Col. Manning wrote:
Alright, now that's a good point. I sort-of noticed the repetitious shots as a kid, but they didn't really bother me as far as I recall. As an adult though, they're quite annoying (even if it was done due to budget restrictions or whatever). I guess my positive feelings for the show are mainly nostalgic. I wonder what I'd think of it if I were to see it for the first time today...

Now, while this may be a bit off-topic, Robbie Rist (while never being able to get much of a real TV show career going) can be found on MySpace. Apparently he's really into music these days and plays in bands rather than acting.

http://www.myspace.com/robbierist

If you happen to check it out, watch the video his buddy Fletch made. Kind of interesting...

He was in an interview on VH1 a few years back and finally declared 'I killed the Brady Bunch show'

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:13 pm

That's awesome! :lol: :lol:

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:53 pm

I got to watch the new BSG thanks to friends who have cable and enjoyed it immensely. I also watched the original when it first aired and loved that show as well (Galactica 1980...not so much). I still love it for what it is, much like I love Lost in Space or any show from my childhood that I liked.

RE: Repetitive effects in the original:
They had no choice at the time. It was such a huge show to produce on a weekly basis, they were in danger of not making the air date on more than one occasion. They simply didn't have the time to create enough new shots for every week.

RE: Cancellation
The show ended up canceled after only 1 season because it was so expensive; over $1 million per episode (an ungodly amount at the time). It still had decent ratings, but not at that price. That's why Galactica 1980 with its reduced budget was made. Unfortunately, the timeslot it was placed in (Sundays 7pm AKA children's hour) greatly restricted what could be shown and I think a certain amount of educational material had to be included in each script.
It did have one gem though, the Starbuck episode.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:57 pm

I just finished watching the entire original BG series via Netflix. I still haven't watched a single episode of the new series, although I intend to shortly. Anyway, I hadn't seen the original in years; probably since it first aired and I'd forgotten a lot about it. I'd be warned by friends that it was outdated, campy, cheesy, whatever. I have to admit that yes, in a lot of ways, it doesn't hold up. There's a real naivete about the whole thing that's kind of cloying and yet at the same time, it held my attention. I'm sure there's a nostalgia factor at work and maybe you had to be there in the first place to "get" it. It also helps that Anne Lockhart was supremely cute and still looks great today if the interview section of the last disc is anything to go by! :) And I really did enjoy seeing guest appearances from the likes of Fred Astaire and Lloyd Bridges as well.

In a way, it's a shame that the series didn't carry on.

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:07 pm

Well some time has passed and I have finally had the opportunity to see most of the new BSG. My friend who watched it through Netflix watched it with his wife who also loved the show. This had one great advantage--my wife (who's not into sci-fi) has watched the entire series with me! I suppose it's mainly because of the "soap opera"-like element of the show. It makes the show watchable for sc-fi fans AND people who don't even like sci-fi. we are about to start season 4.5, so we're almost done with the series.

I do like the show very much, and now that I've experienced it I have a new pperspective on the comparison between the two shows. In my mind they're really two completely different shows (albeit with a common history). I enjoy the new show, but still feel the same about the original. I'm guessing that a lot of the negativity about teh original was probably coming from people who were too young to have seen it when it was on. Tha's understandable. While people of a certain age (me) can feel a certain nostalgia for the original and can forgive its "faults" because we understand that it was produced over 30 years ago, younger fans of the new show must only be able to see a supremely cheesy, cheap and crappy show that has few if any positive virtues to offer.

While we're just about to finish the new Battlestar Galactica, I also just finished watching the movie version (pilot) of the original show last night. Even though there are many characters shared by the two shows (and even though there wouldn't be a new show without the original) I really do see them as being two completely different entities. Guess you could call this a bit of closure for me.

And, I should also mention that I loved when the new show would tip its hat to the original (the general look of the Galactica and the vipers, the old-style cylons featured in the miniseries (as museum a museum piece on the almost-mothballed Galactica) and in the episode that featured the young Adama's exploits ("Razor"?)...

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:52 am

I still haven't seen the final 10 episodes. I've had them for about a year now, tucked away in my computer (::cough:: bit torrent ::cough::) Just haven't got around to watching them yet. I've also managed to avoid any spoilers regarding the ending, so I still don't know how it ends :-)

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:58 pm

I was looking on Netflix via my Roku subscription and found the 24 episodes from 1978 available. I'll be watching those again this weekend. I just finished watching seasons 1-3 of SOAP. Funny how taboo that series was as a kid but on today's shows it is a required part of the plot.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]