View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:53 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What are you using? 
Site Admin

What are you using?
I have a Mac-Mini running Mac OS X 10.4.10
1.66 Dual-Layer Intel
2Gb DDR2 SDRAM
DVD-Rom/CD-RW
80Gb HD (master)
500Gg External HD
160Gb External HD
37" Polaroid LCD

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:36 pm

1. Operating System: Windows XP SP2
2. Processor & Speed: Celoron[R] 2.93GHz
3. System Ram: 1.5GB
4. Video Card: ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB DDR; core clock speed: 325MHz
5. Twin DVDRWs
6. 80GB Master HD
7. 300GB HD
8. 180GB HD (external)
9. 19" standard monitor

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:42 pm
Site Admin

I was running XP as well and the day before I switched to Mac, my PC got a virus. after that, no more Windows EVER!!!!!!

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:55 pm

XP has been very stable for me with no problems. I try to be careful virus-wise by running the latest Norton anti-virus /firewall programs and keep them updated. I also have several spyware programs like MSN Spysweeper, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Spyware Doctor, Spyware Blaster. I've been lucky so far, but I always back-up important files just in case.

How compatible with the Internet is Mac when websurfing? I've never tried a Mac, so I'm curious about that.

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:17 pm
Site Admin

Mac OS X comes with Safari (although you can still use Windows IE, Firefox,etc.) You can still use Windows Media Player as your default player for internet content. I try to avoid using anything Microsoft (except for the XBox-360). Any computer that uses a .exe extension can get viruses. I have had my Mac for 4 months and not one bit of spyware, viruses, trojans etc. Those 'Hello, I'm a Mac, Hello I'm a PC" commercials are true and I have all of them on my iPod.

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:26 pm
Site Admin

Beastball wrote:
XP has been very stable for me with no problems. I try to be careful virus-wise by running the latest Norton anti-virus /firewall programs and keep them updated. I also have several spyware programs like MSN Spysweeper, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Spyware Doctor, Spyware Blaster. I've been lucky so far, but I always back-up important files just in case.

Look at all the extra progams you have to run to protect XP. On Mac OS X, you only need one, Mac OS X :wink:

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:40 am

You're absolutely correct. An unfortunate reality because most of the world runs Windows and all the bad people know this.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:57 pm
Site Admin

Apple came out with Apple TV for MacPro and MacBook so users can watch there computer videos, access music and view photos on TV. I currently have the Mac-Mini which has iLife which does the exact same thing. I just use the Apple Remote to access it and I can watch all of my digital movies on my 37" LCD.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:10 pm

If the Mac is truly superior to the PC, I'd be interested in switching to a Mac when the time comes for the next major upgrade of my computer, except I'd be afraid of incompatability for all of the programs, games, and all the important files I have stored in my HDs now and could not be used / accessed in a Mac.

Could files in a HD that are Windows-configured, be accessed and DL into a Mac?

Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:15 pm
Site Admin

All programs must be for Mac or Universal applications so your entire Windows software collection goes out the window. Although there is a version of windows XP/Vista for Mac, it seems kind of useless. as far as files, it depends on what you have

Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:45 pm

Program-wise, I was refering to mostly third party software like Adobe photo deluxe, my DVD label maker, my JASC Paintshop Pro, Nero, etc. I'd have to see if they could be used in a Mac.

File-wise, I was refering to photos jpegs, bmps, or html files stored on a HD has previously been used in a Windows PC. Those files stored lets say on an external HD that is not the master HD--can that HD be plugged into a Mac and access those files?

Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:57 pm
Site Admin

Beastball wrote:
Program-wise, I was refering to mostly third party software like Adobe photo deluxe, my DVD label maker, my JASC Paintshop Pro, Nero, etc. I'd have to see if they could be used in a Mac.

File-wise, I was refering to photos jpegs, bmps, or html files stored on a HD has previously been used in a Windows PC. Those files stored lets say on an external HD that is not the master HD--can that HD be plugged into a Mac and access those files?

As far as your programs, no, windows based programs will not run on a Mac. You will have to get a new set of software.
Jpegs, BMP's and html=no problem.
Your external HD should not be a problem however I recommend you back everything up to DVD and reformat to Mac format

Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:29 pm

Daimajinbob wrote:

...As far as your programs, no, windows based programs will not run on a Mac. You will have to get a new set of software....

Hmm...this is something that I'd have to take into consideration.
Thanks for the info, Daimajinbob!

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:17 pm
Site Admin

Mac OS X comes with everything you need to do DVD's and CD's and photos are managed by iPhoto. If you get an mac-mini (which is what recommend for beginners) it comes with iLife here's a preview for iLife 08
http://www.apple.com/ilife/

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:52 pm

Now that you can dual boot with XP my next computer will be a Mac for sure.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next