View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to THE CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE Board!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Whining About Netflix 

Whining About Netflix
So, I should start by saying that I still like Netflix. When it first came around it was a great way to get movies. Of course things have changed in the world of home entertainment since those early days of DVDs. Now Netflix is in danger of becoming an endangered species--put out to pasture with such passe things as the VCR and video stores. It had a great run, but has to face the fact that, in this world of instant gratification, people are no longer interested in getting movies at the speed of mail and want them at the speed of light. Of course they addressed this problem by starting their streaming service. It certainly seems that, if they are to survive as a business, they will eventually become a streaming-only model and cease the "brick and mortar" aspect of the business (mailing out DVDs and Blu-rays). This is ironic of course--seeing as how Netflix was a big part of the demise of so many actual brick and mortar video stores. But I digress...

There was a big uproar a couple years ago when Netflix tried to strong arm people into using the streaming feature by separating the prices of streaming and DVD subscriptions (and making it much more expensive to continue doing both). Much of this uproar has died down. Up until a couple years ago we only got the DVDs. We were living a rather prehistoric existence that didn't include cable or internet at home. Getting DVDs from Netflix was a pretty big deal--entertainment-wise--for us. We finally broke down and got internet again a couple years back (and a Roku box to boot). Although we get fewer DVDs at a time now, we did elect to keep receiving them along with the streaming service. This was mainly because of the fact that a lot of good stuff--mainly the non-mainstream stuff--is still not available via streaming. My big complaint now is that things in the streaming collection come and go so often. I've bought stuff on DVD simply because it wasn't available to stream on Netflix--only to see it become available there a couple months later. On the other side, I've declined some good DVD deals because I knew it was available for "free" from netflix--only to have that content disappear. I'm sure there are multiple contracts and agreements that Netflix has to deal with as far as what it can and can't offer in the streaming collection, and I'm sure companies agree to allow it for a while and then suddenly yank the permission, but it can be very frustrating for us members. I have a lengthy DVD and instant viewing queue. It was cool to know that Netflix had a whole bunch of MST3K movies and Tom Baker-era Doctor Who episodes available via streaming. I had many of them sitting in my queue for a long time. Some were MST3K episodes I'd never seen. Unfortunately I put off watching all that stuff a tad too long. When I checked my queue a couple days ago I noticed that all the MST3K and Doctor Who episodes I had in the instant queue were no longer there! Sure, I can still get most of them in DVD, but what a letdown to not have them available at my fingertips anymore. And I really wish I had known they were going to disappear so I could have watched some of them before it happened. Oh well...

Oh well, we'll all be eaten by Zigra sooner or later.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: Whining About Netflix
at one time netflix was the best thing out there.
however their plan to strong arm customers into going streaming turned me off.

they don't care about their dvd customers anymore.
while i can understand their streaming choice they should still care about their other customers but clearly they don't.

not everyone is in situation where they can stream. sure it might be a smaller base for dvds but its still there and to ignore it is stupid.
i kept getting defective dvds and they didn't care. they also stopped getting a lot of the non mainstream content that they used to buy.

so we dumped them a year or so ago.

their streaming content changes too much for me to want to continue with them.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:42 am

Sorry to hear about your experience with them astroal. I was pretty turned off by their attitude toward the "old-fashioned" folk who dared to want to continue to get DVDs. It wasn't long before that that we had no way to stream video and depended on the DVDs ourselves. Since we were doing the streaming when it happened it made things a tad easier (though still frustrating). They seem to want to dump DVDs all together, yet make it almost impossible to totally switch to streaming because of the stuff that's not available for streaming (not necessarily their fault), and because of the fact that streaming content constantly changes so much. I don't know if we'll ever dump Netflix, or see if we can outlast them. Since we have Roku and still don't have cable it's still one of our best home entertainment options.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Since I do most of my shopping through Amazon I have a prime membership which gives me access to a lot of streaming movies and shows. Not sure if you guys have that option on your boxes but it is a nice alternative.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:49 pm

I restarted my Netflix membership after an 8 month hiatus and it doesn't appear much content has changed for streaming. I pass by three Red Box terminals on my way home and have used those for DVD rentals. I had Amazon Prime, but found the free streaming content more limited than Netflix and the movies I wanted cost more than Red Box. I'm guessing that until the content providers figure out a way to stop fighting with each other we'll have to pick and choose our methods of entertainment.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:41 am

It surprises me how much stuff comes and goes from Netflix's streaming. They used to show (in red) the dates that stuff would become unavailable when you looked at your queue online. This was handy. Not only did you know what stuff you wouldn't be able to watch, but also had a chance to try to see it before it disappeared. They don't seem to do this anymore. Now it always comes as a surprise to me when stuff mysteriously disappears. I think much of it I don't even notice because my queue is so long. Something I threw in the queue on a whim months earlier will disappear and I won't even notice it. It was a different story when all the Doctor Who (Tom Baker era) and MST3K stuff disappeared. I definitely DID notice that. Also, a couple of weeks ago my wife and I started watching "Office Space". We only got a little way into the movie before I had to leave. We tried to go back to it just a couple days later and suddenly it wasn't in our instant queue anymore. It was no longer available for streaming.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:17 pm

office space is a blast.

sorry it dropped from your queue.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:17 am

As an update (and possible quieting down of my whining), I just discovered that Netflix is still offering some old Tom Baker Dr. Who's for streaming. It appears that they simply were repackaging how they are presented. They used to have individual episodes (like "The Ark in Space" for example) listed separately, and the cover art from the DVDs would appear with the title, like how movies appear with their poster art (or something similar) when you search for them. All the episodes I had in my queue (all Tom Baker ones) disappeared suddenly, but now appear to be available again. NOw they all fall under the title "Classic Doctor Who". It is a separate category from the modern Dr. Who eps. They seem to offer a handful from each of the earlier Doctors. Instead of each title being separate, they now all show up as episodes you can choose under a single "banner". It kind of makes sense from a clutter and search standpoint. Now To see if they do the same with the MST3K movies that disappeared...

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 pm

I've been watching both the US and British versions of House of Cards as well some older tv series including the West Wing. Most of the movies really aren't worth watching but I've come across a few that I might like. Verizon just gave us free HBO until June and I'm currently watching Cowboys & Aliens. HBO is less about movies these days and more about their own series, which are good.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:02 pm

The line between cable and broadcast TV has really blurred over the years. While I don't have cable, it would seem that most of the "movie channels" of yore (HBO, Showtime...) are more concerned with putting out their own original shows (which I agree tend to be pretty good most of the time) than with showing movies. It really seems amazing to think that Netflix themselves are starting to produce shows of their own. My wife and I have watched the first episode of Netflix's "House of Cards" (haven't seen the original British version). We really enjoyed the Netflix show "Lilyhammer". I hope they make more of that one.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Sorry about the double post below (especially when it's such a LONG post!). I don't know how to delete a post, so I just "edited" the first one into this apology.

Last edited by Col. Manning on Wed May 01, 2013 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:15 pm

So I just happened to see on Yahoo! that Netflix is going to lose almost 2,000 titles on May 1st (about an hour away as I write this). The article mentioned that these aren't the most important of titles and shouldn't really be missed by most (I'm guessing they're talking about people who only have Netflix to stream the latest blockbuster movies). Most of them seem to be MGM titles that MGM is going to offer for streaming for a fee themselves. It also mentioned that the list was heavy on Sci-fi and horror titles. It always amazes me how many cool things I DIDN'T realize were available for streaming. It seems like the only way I find out is when they end up losing those titles. Check out some of the awesome titles in this partial list that I copied from a website. Lots of CDF movies in there. True, there are a bunch of these that I already have on Midnite Movies DVDs, but it's still sad to think that they were all available all this time and are now going to be gone.

Expiring May 1:

ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN
AMOK TRAIN
ANDROID
ANGEL UNCHAINED
ANGELS FROM HELL
THE APE (1940)
ARABIAN NIGHTS (Pasolini)
AT THE EARTH'S CORE
ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE
AUDREY ROSE
BAMBOO GODS AND IRON MEN
BARB WIRE
BARE KNUCKLES
THE BAT PEOPLE
BAWDY TALES
BEACH PARTY
BEACH RED
THE BEAST WITH A MILLION EYES
THE BEAST WITHIN
THE BED SITTING ROOM
BEHIND THE MASK (1946, The Shadow)
BEYOND THE TIME BARRIER
THE BIG BOODLE
BIG HOUSE U.S.A.
BIKINI BEACH
BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN
THE BLACK CAT (1989)
BLACK SABBATH
THE BLACK SLEEP
BLITHE SPIRIT
BLOOD AND LACE
BLOOD BATH
BLOOD GAMES
THE BLOODY JUDGE
BOP GIRL (GOES CALYPSO)
BOXCAR BERTHA
THE BOY AND THE PIRATES
THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE
BREEDERS
BUCKTOWN
A BULLET FOR PRETTY BOY
BUNNY O'HARE
BURN WITCH BURN
THE BURNING
BURNT OFFERINGS
BWANA DEVIL
CANON CITY (1948, good, forgotten noir)
A CANTERBURY TALE (Powell/Pressburger)
THE CARETAKERS
THE CAT BURGLAR
CHARLIE CHAN: MEETING AT MIDNIGHT
CHARLIE CHAN: THE CHINESE CAT
CHARLIE CHAN: THE JADE MASK
CHARLIE CHAN: THE SECRET SERVICE
C.H.O.M.P.S.
CHROME AND HOT LEATHER
THE CLAIRVOYANT
THE COMEDY OF TERRORS
COMIC BOOK CONFIDENTIAL
CONDOR
CONTAMINATION.7
COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE
COUNTESS DRACULA
CRAWLSPACE (1986)
CREATURE
THE CRIMSON CULT
CRUCIBLE OF HORROR
CRYSTALSTONE
CUL-DE-SAC
CULT OF THE DAMNED
CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURE
CYCLE SAVAGES
DAMNED RIVER
DANGER ROUTE (cool Amicus spy flick)
DARK TOWER (1987)
DAUGHTERS OF SATAN
DAY OF THE NIGHTMARE
DE SADE
DEATH RIDES A HORSE
DEEP IMPACT
DEEP SPACE
THE DELINQUENTS
DERANGED
THE DEVIL WITHIN HER
THE DEVIL'S ANGELS
THE DEVIL'S EIGHT
THE DIAMOND WIZARD
DIARY OF A HIGH SCHOOL BRIDE
DIE, MONSTER, DIE
DILLINGER (1973)
DISASTER ON THE COASTLINER
DR. BLOOD'S COFFIN
DOLLS
DONOVAN'S BRAIN
DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE BIKINI MACHINE
DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS
DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN
DRUM
THE DUNGEONMASTER
DUNWICH HORROR
EDGE OF FURY
EDGE OF SANITY
THE ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT
ENCOUNTER AT RAVEN'S GATE
THE EVICTORS
THE EXPLOSIVE GENERATION
FACE OF MARBLE
FANFARE FOR A DEATH SCENE
THE FATAL HOUR (Karloff as Mr. Wong)
FEARLESS FRANK
FELLINI SATYRICON
FINDERS KEEPERS (1967)
FIREBALL 500
THE FLIGHT THAT DISAPPEARED
FOR THOSE WHO THINK YOUNG
FRIDAY FOSTER
FRITZ THE CAT
FROGS
FULL MOON HIGH
GHOST WARRIOR
THE GHOUL (1933)
THE GLORY STOMPERS
GOG
GOLDEN NEEDLES
GOR
GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE
HANDS OF THE RIPPER
THE HAPPY H*O*O*KER
THE HAPPY H*O*O*KER GOES TO HOLLYWOOD
THE HAPPY H*O*O*KER GOES TO WASHINGTON
HARRY IN YOUR POCKET
HERCULES AGAINST KARATE
HERCULES AGAINST THE MONGOLS
HIGH SCHOOL HELLCATS
THE HILLS RUN RED (1967)
THE HORROR SHOW
THE HOSPITAL
HOT CARS
HOT ROD GANG
HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1978)
HOUR OF THE WOLF (Bergman)
HOUSE OF SHADOWS
THE HOUSE WHERE EVIL DWELLS
HOW TO STUFF A WILD BIKINI
I BURY THE LIVING
I ESCAPED FROM DEVIL'S ISLAND
I START COUNTING
THE IMMORTALIZER
INCIDENT IN AN ALLEY
THE INCREDIBLE TWO-HEADED TRANSPLANT
THE INITIATION OF SARAH
INTERZONE
INVASION OF THE BEE GIRLS
INVASION OF THE STAR CREATURES
INVISIBLE INVADERS
IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE
IT'S A BIKINI WORLD
J.D.'S REVENGE
JACK THE GIANT KILLER
JAWS OF SATAN
JOHNNY COOL
JOURNEY TO THE SEVENTH PLANET
JUGGERNAUT
K-9000
KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL
KILL A DRAGON
THE KILLER IS LOOSE
KILLER'S KISS (Kubrick)
KING OF THE ZOMBIES
KISS ME, KILLER (Jess Franco)
KISS ME, STUPID (Billy Wilder)
KONGA
LADYBUG, LADYBUG
LAND OF DOOM
THE LAST MAN ON EARTH
THE LAST TIME I SAW ARCHIE
LEGION OF IRON
LITTLE CIGARS
LITTLE NORSE PRINCE VALIANT (1960s theatrical anime)
THE LIVING GHOST
LOVE AT STAKE
MAD ABOUT MEN (sequel to the mermaid comedy, MIRANDA)
MADHOUSE
THE MAGIC SWORD
THE MAN FROM BUTTON WILLOW (forgotten 1960s animated feature)
THE MAN FROM PLANET X
THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH
MANCHU EAGLE MURDER CAPER MYSTERY
THE MANSTER
MARAT/SADE
MARS NEEDS WOMEN
MARYJANE
MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH (1964)
MASQUERADE (1965)
MASTER OF THE WORLD
MATCHLESS
MATLIDA: SPECIAL EDITION (1996)
MEET JOE BLACK
MELVIN PURVIS - G-MAN (1974, Dan Curtis)
THE MERCENARY (1968)
MESSAGE FROM SPACE
MIDNIGHT MATINEE
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM (1968)
THE MINI-SKIRT MOB
THE MINOTAUR (1960)
MIRANDA (1948)
THE MISSING LADY (1946, The Shadow)
MOM
THE MONKEY HUSTLE
MONKEY SHINES
MONSTER DOG
THE MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD
MOON OF THE WOLF
MOUSE ON THE MOON
MR. WONG, DETECTIVE
MR. WONG IN CHINATOWN
MULHOLLAND DR.
MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1971)
MUTANT HUNT
MY SON, THE HERO (1962)
THE MYSTERY OF MR. WONG
MYSTERY LINER
MYSTERY OF THE 13TH GUEST
NAKED AFRICA
NAVAJO JOE
NEANDERTHAL MAN
NIGHT OF THE COMET
THE NINE LIVES OF FRITZ THE CAT
THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH (Abbott & Costello)
NORTHWEST FRONTIER (a.k.a. FLAME OVER INDIA)
OCTAMAN
THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY (Roy Ward Baker)
ONE, TWO, THREE (Billy Wilder)
OPEN HOUSE (1987)
ORDER OF THE BLACK EAGLE
PAJAMA PARTY
PANGA (Christopher Lee)
THE PEACEKILLERS
PHAROAH'S CURSE
PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES
PLAY DIRTY
PRAY FOR DEATH
PREDATOR: THE QUIETUS
PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1987)
QUEEN OF BLOOD
RAW MEAT
RED PLANET MARS
THE RESURRECTED
RETROACTIVE
THE RETURN OF COUNT YORGA
THE RETURN OF DRACULA
THE ROAD TO HONG KONG
THE ROCKING HORSE WINNER (1950)
ROCKY & BULLWINKLE & FRIENDS: SEASONS 1-5
RUN FOR THE SUN
THE SCALPHUNTERS
SCARECROWS (1988)
THE SCARLET CLUE (Charlie Chan)
SCREAM, BLACULA, SCREAM
SCREAMTIME
THE SECRET INVASION (Corman)
SECRET SCREAMS
THE SHANGHAI COBRA (Charlie Chan)
SHE (1982)
SHIVER (2008)
SHOUT AT THE DEVIL
SHRIEK IF YOU KNOW WHAT I DID FRIDAY THE 13TH
SKI PARTY
SMILE
SOLARBABIES
SOMETIMES THEY COME BACK
SPECIAL EFFECTS (1984)
THE SPELL (1977)
SPELLBINDER
SPELLCASTER
SQUIRM
STARCROSSED
STICKS OF DEATH
SUGAR HILL
TALES OF TERROR (1962)
TERRORVISION
THEATER OF BLOOD
THEM (2007)
THEREMIN: AN ELECTRONIC ODYSSEY
THE THING WITH TWO HEADS
THIRST (2009)
THE THIRTEENTH FLOOR
THREE BAD SISTERS (1956... Kathleen Hughes, Marla English and Sara Shane)
THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!
TIMERIDER: THE ADVENTURE OF LYLE SWANN
TIMESTALKERS
TINTORERA: KILLER SHARK
TOP SECRET! (1984)
TOPKAPI
TRANSATLANTIC TUNNEL
TWINS OF EVIL
TWO-MINUTE WARNING
UFO (1956)
UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: THE RETURN
VAMPIRE CIRCUS
THE VAMPIRE LOVERS
THE VAMPIRE (1957, John Beal)
VICE RAID (1960, Mamie Van Doren)
VIOLENT PLAYGROUND (1958, Peter Cushing)
VIVA MARIA! (1965)
WARGAMES
WARRIOR OF THE LOST WORLD
WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR, DADDY?
WHEN EIGHT BELLS TOLL
WILD IN THE STREETS
WITCHFINDER GENERAL
YONGARY, MONSTER FROM THE DEEP
ZOMBIETHON (1986, clip compilation film)

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:17 pm

there's a lot of good flicks on this list. glad i dumped netflix

Wed May 01, 2013 5:02 am

Ug! My queue lost a lot of weight and I didn't even realize it. A couple of titles in particular that I don't own I wanted to see were "Gog" and "Witchfinder General".

Thu May 09, 2013 10:21 am

and that's why i walked on netfilx. i used to love them.

Thu May 09, 2013 10:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next